advertisement

Esbjoern Svensson R.I.P.

Markus S

41 - 29
The Swedish jazz pianist, best known for his work with the trio that bears his name (e.s.t.), died Saturday June 14th in a diving accident.

I only found him a couple of years ago, but I like his music very much. Sad.

Yes, this is very sad news. I read about it this morning and gave 'Tuesday Wonderland' a blast on the iPod on the way to work.

Cesare

Very sad. Saw him at The Barbican last year. A really good show and he was a fine pianist.

The EST Plays Monk record is one of my favourites and other records are full of moments of fine playing and some great compositions.

Kevin

Rats!

I had bought tickets for a concert next year fo E.S.T., I find it hard to imagine that another pianist could replace him. Can't help thinking that the direction of the group comes from him.

Peter

Very sad - I saw them last year at the Usher hall here in Edinburgh - a great show and a real talent.

He was a great composer and musician. So sad indeed.

Swedish radio P2 is broadcasting a concert with E.S.T. in memoriam this evening. It´s from 2007, "Jazz rythm fest", their last concert in Sweden.
You should be able to hear it through Webbradio. The broadcast is P2 Live Jazz.

It´s on 1930 swedish local time so it must be 1830 GMT.

http://www.sr.se/p2/

Use P2 direkt

This is very sad news. I was only recently listening intently to the "Live in Goteborg 2005' (a semi official e.s.t. bootleg) the other day and made a mental note to go and see them. I do wish his family and remaining members of the trio my condolences.

Saw e.s.t. twice, both concerts were very good and both times Svensson talked about his family -- he seemed to be confident and bold by virtue of his talent, yet down to earth and humble at the same time.

Was very sad when I heard about this. Makes me realise how fortunate I was to catch EST at Warwick Arts Centre about 6 months ago. They were damn good live - 90 minutes flew by, and they could have played all night as far as I was concerned. Seemed really nice chaps, all three, talented yet still humble.
I play EST tracks quite often at the hifi shows and often get asked who's playing. His music often seems to cross over to non-jazz types. He'll be missed.

Tonight Friday 20th june 2008 BBC radio 3 are broadcasting some EST live concerts.@23:30

You can catch this on the replay by choosing i player on the BBC Radio 3 Web site

Tonight's Jazz library play list http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazzlibrary/pip/t6egi/

Was a great listen both these tracks were played live

Presenter: Jez Nelson
Producer: Peggy Sutton

Jez Nelson presents a tribute to the late Swedish pianist Esbjorn Svensson, who died on Saturday 14th June in a diving accident at the age of 44.

All music performed and composed by e.s.t.

Esbjorn Svensson - piano
Dan Berglund - bass
Magnus Ostrom - drums

Track Title - From Gargarin's Point of View
Recorded live on 16th October 1999 at Pizza Express Jazz Club, Soho, London

Jez interviews Siggi Loch, founder of ACT records

Track Title - Dodge the Dodo
Recorded live on 16th October 1999 at Pizza Express Jazz Club, Soho, London

Jez is joined in the studio by Jon Newey, editor of Jazzwise Magazine

Interviews with Esbjorn Svensson, Dan Berglund and Magnus Ostrom, recorded in 2001

Track Title - Spam-Boo-Limbo
Recorded live on 10th February 2001 at Pizza Express Jazz Club, Soho, London

Guitarist Pat Metheny shares his memories of Esbjorn Svensson

Track Title - When God Created The Coffee Break
Recorded live on 9th March 2002 at Pizza Express Jazz Club, Soho, London

Track Title - Serenade For The Renegade
Recorded live on 9th March 2002 at Pizza Express Jazz Club, Soho, London

Jez interviews Esbjorn Svensson - recorded in 2006

Track Title - Believe, Beleft, Below
Recorded live on 19th March 2005 at The Sage, Gateshead

Track Title - Behind The Yashmak
Recorded live on 19th March 2005 at The Sage, Gateshead