advertisement

Errors and / or Omissions, The Oxford Comma...

A comma can make all the difference.

5a4.jpg

Joe

My language lecturer always told me that if you can understand what the sentence is trying to say then the punctuation is usually correct. She said that you should only use a comma after and when it makes the sentence clearer. In the case of the 50p coin it doesn't so it's fine as it is IMO... well not fine as who wants to commemorate Brexit FFS? It's fine grammatically though.

I shall ask for them to be changed into acceptable alternative lower denomination coins.

My language lecturer always told me that if you can understand what the sentence is trying to say then the punctuation is usually correct. She said that you should only use a comma after and when it makes the sentence clearer. In the case of the 50p coin it doesn't so it's fine as it is IMO... well not fine as who wants to commemorate Brexit FFS? It's fine grammatically though.

The rule for Commas when read is to put in place to take a breath inwards, as to avoid causing pain or injury towards the reader.

Oh, and to separate individual items being described.

I am probably wrong again but at my age, very little matters to me these days. :)

A comma can make all the difference.

5a4.jpg

Joe

joe.

that second one is incorrectly depicted. if the image is to match, there should be no comma at all.

also: that looks more like saddam hussein than stalin.

Vuk,

The comma in the second sentence is used to introduce a series of items like so — I dedicate this poem to my mentors, Stan and Bubba.

You could also write the sentence with an em dash or a colon.

I dedicate this poem to my mentors — Stan and Bubba.

I dedicate this poem to my mentors: Stan and Bubba.

Joe

Vuk,

The comma in the second sentence is used to introduce a series of items like so — I dedicate this poem to my mentors, Stan and Bubba.

You could also write the sentence with an em dash or a colon.

I dedicate this poem to my mentors — Stan and Bubba.

I dedicate this poem to my mentors: Stan and Bubba.

Joe

in your example, the order of subjects (and ensuing logic) provide the correct resolution. with dash or colon, there is no ambiguity. i don't like the oxford comma. in my experience, it's something used by people who don't quite understand punctuation, are afraid making mistakes and then go overboard.

advertisement

Back