advertisement

Erdogan

It is nothing to do with theory. What I posted are facts, readily extracted from any of the Islaamic holy books.
What true learned, level-headed Muslims will agree on is that the VAST majority of what so-called Muslims have done in the name of Islaam in recent times, has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Islaamic teachings.

I very well remember when the London underground attempted bomber was caught and pinned to the floor, the recording was played on R4 - somebody shouted at him in a broad London accent - "You ain't no Muslim, bruvver, you ain't no Muslim". Now, that is harsh, as the Qur'an says that no person should stand in judgement of another (in respect of religious adherence etc.), judgement will happen elsewhere.

You mean just like Judaism and Christianity, and Hinduism, and.......................
Of course in the real world it is everything to do with theory and interpretation and application. Your "facts" are your interpretation of holy texts. If the Government of the country you live in interprets the texts differently then what? In liberal regimes it would not be a problem, in less liberal regimes it might be a huge issue.

The issue of interpretation applies to all religions, of course, but in ostensibly "Christian" countries religion does not define law.

I very strongly suspect that you are not thinking of religious teachings, but of custom, practise, myth, legend, bigotry and a whole host of other things. For instance, an extremely large proportion of the headline "goings-on" of the so-caled Islaamic State are absolutely harram - people convert to Islaam voluntarily or not at all, proselytizing is harram, maltreatment of anyone at all is harram, summary executions are harram, Judaism and Christianity in particular are regarded as valid and parallel religions by Islaam, just not quite as "good" as Islaam - they share the Old Testament as a holy text. Jesus, Isa, is an Islaamic prophet, though not the son of God, but born of a virgin birth.

Just a very few examples.

Anything that drifts from what the handful of holy books in this world state, and they all state VERY similar things, is not religious teachings.
Well yes, quite probably. But I'm not sure I'd be able to identify any states run by secular governments which are guided by religious teachings. In most cases, it seems to me, the secular bit takes a back seat if the religion is properly influential.

Religion and faith must not be confused. Religion is people telling other people what is morally right or acceptable and often backing that up with political force, wherein the religious zealots, extremists and nutjobs , not content with themselves observing what they claim to be the word of whatever god they claim to have a hotline to...will force the acquiescence of all others. That is not religion.. it is rule by fear.

Faith is a personal value and belief set. which is arrived at entirely internally, and is held independently of others.

Any state which enforces religion and uses it as the basis for Law is..in my opinion.. a failed state and it is certainly anti-democratic.

The last hours of Turkey's presidential race have turned increasingly sour as Recep Tayyip Erdogan bids to extend his 20 years in power by five more.

Ahead of Sunday's run-off vote, opposition rival Kemal Kilicdaroglu has courted nationalist votes by vowing to expel millions of Syrian refugees.

The president accused him of hate speech - and said a Kilicdaroglu victory would be a win for terrorists.

The opposition candidate trailed in the first round by 2.5 million votes.

The president is favourite, but his rival believes the margin could still be bridged - either by the 2.8 million supporters of an ultranationalist candidate who came third or by the eight million voters who did not turn out in the first round.

Before their campaigns drew to a close on Saturday evening, Mr Erdogan marked the anniversary of a 1960 coup with a visit to the mausoleum of an executed prime minister.

It was a reminder to voters that in 2016 he had faced down an attempted coup, and that the government would be safe in his hands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65708268

I was talking to some Greeks in Kos about this.
They consider the opposition leader to be much more of a worry to them than Erdogan.

Hi, this is also a country, that is blocking help to Ukraine, at every meeting, and siding with Russia, at every point, for gas, and oil, and it would not surprise me , if Russia is giving them money, not for turkey, but to politicians,

This is what happens when you try to stretch Europe to far to the east, IMHO, there are country's that should not be in Europe/ European community,

Hi, this is also a country, that is blocking help to Ukraine, at every meeting, and siding with Russia, at every point, for gas, and oil, and it would not surprise me , if Russia is giving them money, not for turkey, but to politicians,

This is what happens when you try to stretch Europe to far to the east, IMHO, there are country's that should not be in Europe/ European community,
Europe is a fixed geographical reality, who the hell would get to change its borders? Turkey's not in the EU and nearly all of it is not in Europe. The bit that is in Europe has been in Europe forever, so I'm not sure where you're getting the stretching Europe to the east narrative, unless maybe you've been watching too much GB News.

The opponent wants to expel the Syrian refugees, 2.5 million of them. This is presumably into Europe
edit 4 million, Syrians, Afghans and now Russians

Last edited:
Useful rallying cry for the far right anywhere
Get rid of foreigners !
Ironic Farage (?) used the Turks as GBs bogey men
Somewhere the British are the bogey men

advertisement

Back