advertisement

Equipment stands - here we go again ;-)

I prefer the form = function look of my rack in my dust-free environment. ;)

pict3031.jpg

This is an easy one.

If you have a turntable it will possibly benefit from a dedicated support, as will some kit containing tubes - mostly high gain pre amps and tube based phono stages.
Anything else can can be placed on whatever you want, wherever you want. Ok, don't stand your MC phono stage on top of the loudspeakers and crank up the volume, but you get the idea.

With repect, I haven't this thread you refer to and certanly don't have time to.

I hope I never get to the point where my views on any subject are so entrenched I'd point blank refuse to read something that may challenge them, though I guess this is why some folk believe dinosaurs to be 5000 years old etc. It has to be worth 30 minutes of anyone's time to read the content and listen to the sound files if they are even remotely interested in equipment isolation IMO.

Tony.

I have rented a lockup at the end of the road and now have my electronics in there. It has been a bit of a bugger finding speaker cables long enough and there is a bit of a voltage drop but I now get no acoustic feedback whatsoever. Ten minutes to put another album on is a bit of a bummer also, but I'm lovin' that unaffected sound.

@ Rack Kit:

IME, it won't make much of a difference, the usual exceptions are TTs, and components with tubes, though I have no direct experience with the latter.

However, I think it is a good idea to leave the space between the speakers empty, i.e. don't put the rack (or anything else for that matter) there, for simple acoustical reasons - this will probably give a bigger improvement than the most expensive/advanced rack available.

As for me, I just bought a solidsteel 5.4 rack about two weeks ago:

5.4.jpg

It looks gorgeous, as for an improvement in sound: nah, not really - but then, I wasn't expecting any. I haven't yet made any in-depth comparisons to the old rack (a piece of USM furniture) WRT to the sound quality of the TT, but I expect that the TT will sound better, to some degree, on the solidsteel rack.

@Rob:

Great thread on Zerogain, thumbs up and thanks for going through all the trouble!

Cheers,
Samuel.

Not at all - we can hear the effects of stands under some kit - IIRC we all preferred your Ikea Lack to your Mana under your LP12. ;)

Tony.

That's cool, I preferred the Mana but I can see why the voting might turn out different. I think there were only 12 votes, 3 couldn't hear a difference, 2 voted for Archidee and 7 for Ikea.

I'm not so sure how scientific forum polling is. I brought this up before, but the fact that folks can comment and see the voting as it's going on I think
affects the results...ie. Sheep mentality. I no longer have the stats, but the Mana files were labeled C and were the last in the list. It turned out the "C" files were the least downloaded by a greater than 2:1 margin.

My earlier Support poll yielded a tie between Mana and Archidee (12 votes each) and was done in a way that I think gave more valid results as the voters had to vote on all three recordings.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72979&page=3

This is an easy one.

If you have a turntable it will possibly benefit from a dedicated support, as will some kit containing tubes - mostly high gain pre amps and tube based phono stages.
Anything else can can be placed on whatever you want, wherever you want. Ok, don't stand your MC phono stage on top of the loudspeakers and crank up the volume, but you get the idea.

Thank you dear oracle.

@ Rack Kit:

IME, it won't make much of a difference, the usual exceptions are TTs, and components with tubes, though I have no direct experience with the latter.

However, I think it is a good idea to leave the space between the speakers empty, i.e. don't put the rack (or anything else for that matter) there, for simple acoustical reasons - this will probably give a bigger improvement than the most expensive/advanced rack available.

As for me, I just bought a solidsteel 5.4 rack about two weeks ago:

5.4.jpg

It looks gorgeous, as for an improvement in sound: nah, not really - but then, I wasn't expecting any. I haven't yet made any in-depth comparisons to the old rack (a piece of USM furniture) WRT to the sound quality of the TT, but I expect that the TT will sound better, to some degree, on the solidsteel rack.

@Rob:

Great thread on Zerogain, thumbs up and thanks for going through all the trouble!

Cheers,
Samuel.

Ta for that rack suggestion Vin but i'm looking for something that'll have to keep curious little (and large) hands away from the kit and the Naim rack i have now aint going to do that either.

With repect, I haven't this thread you refer to and certanly don't have time to.

You should, unlike most threads on the subject it actually adds real hard information to the discussion.

Brilliant job Rob, best audio thread I've read for ages.

I note the use of pink noise. No music to see how the system copes with a series of sonic phenomenological events occurring simultaneously and how the listener is able to perceive them.

Still no proof of absence.

I note the use of pink noise. No music to see how the system copes with a series of sonic phenomenological events occurring simultaneously and how the listener is able to perceive them.

Initially, the test was later redone with music. Best to read the whole thread! ;)

Tony.

advertisement

Back