Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Epos ES14 - Replacement Tweeter

Discussion in 'audio' started by Conor, Dec 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Conor

Conor Member

Hi all,

I failed to properly audition a pair of Epos ES14 speakers – there was a dent on one tweeter but it sounded fine at the time. Took it home to pair with my Naim gear and the dented tweeter sounded horrible, a really tinny harsh noise in the highs (more so than usual ;P).

The guy initially offered to take them back and give a refund, but now he's saying he sold them too cheap (€350 no stands, great condition otherwise) and I can use the money saved to repair them (!). Short of going back and throwing them through his windows – are there any modern tweeters I could use to replace the original ones? I know that they wont be the same/true ES14s if they are changed, but I'd like to make the most of a bad situation if possible!

I have contacted Lockwood audio, Epos and checked on the boards here already.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

There are much better tweeters out there but integrating it with the bass unit with a minimal crossover is going to be difficult.

Id give them back.

Conor likes this.
  3. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

I thought the ES14 tweeters were behind a protective metal grill - are you sure the dent is to the diaphragm not the grill? Obviously removing and fixing the grill will be easier than the titanium (or whatever it is) diaphragm.

Conor likes this.
  4. pocketkitchen

pocketkitchen Registered User

He definitely hasn’t sold them to you too cheaply! Take them back, would be my advice. They’re wonderful speakers but only if perfect.

booja30 and Conor like this.
  5. IVELIN

IVELIN pfm Member

Conor likes this.
  6. Conor

Conor Member

Yeah the metal guard is actually ok, it's as if someone stuck a pin in there or something - not really sure how you'd get in there. My tech thinks the voice coil is damaged as well, causing friction.

7. Conor

Conor Member

Thanks! I had seen that thread and contacted the people mentioned! Hopefully the guy will do the right thing and take them back.

8. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

I have spare ES14 tweeters if you want one.

Rushboy, Fatmarley, Isobarik and 3 others like this.
  9. Jazz67

Jazz67 Member

Hi. How much for a ES14 tweeter?
    Thank you .

10. RogerK1988

RogerK1988 New Member

I would like to buy a new tweeter. Could you please send me a pm? Thanks in advance