advertisement

Epos ES14 - Replacement Tweeter

Conor

Hi all,

I failed to properly audition a pair of Epos ES14 speakers – there was a dent on one tweeter but it sounded fine at the time. Took it home to pair with my Naim gear and the dented tweeter sounded horrible, a really tinny harsh noise in the highs (more so than usual ;P).

The guy initially offered to take them back and give a refund, but now he's saying he sold them too cheap (€350 no stands, great condition otherwise) and I can use the money saved to repair them (!). Short of going back and throwing them through his windows – are there any modern tweeters I could use to replace the original ones? I know that they wont be the same/true ES14s if they are changed, but I'd like to make the most of a bad situation if possible!

I have contacted Lockwood audio, Epos and checked on the boards here already.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

There are much better tweeters out there but integrating it with the bass unit with a minimal crossover is going to be difficult.

Id give them back.

I thought the ES14 tweeters were behind a protective metal grill - are you sure the dent is to the diaphragm not the grill? Obviously removing and fixing the grill will be easier than the titanium (or whatever it is) diaphragm.

Yeah the metal guard is actually ok, it's as if someone stuck a pin in there or something - not really sure how you'd get in there. My tech thinks the voice coil is damaged as well, causing friction.

Thanks! I had seen that thread and contacted the people mentioned! Hopefully the guy will do the right thing and take them back.

advertisement

Back