advertisement

Epos ES11 vs. ES12 vs M12/.2

I ditched my NACA5 when I bought studio monitors, have used Talk 3 cable recently. It’s flexible, cheap and to my ears works brilliantly with my Avondale amp and ES14’s.

I've got cable talk 3 here actually, I'll have to give it a go. It's not a bad cable. Maybe not the most revealing but good balance as I remember it.

And I never was a fan of NACA5. In my experience of it years ago was it tended to be shouty, harsh and forced at its worst.

I think Talk 3 is a different cable altogether- Cable Talk 3 was like LK20?

The Talk 3 cable certainly works well enough in my system, not harsh at all but certainly revealing enough.

I’m planning to switch over to the ES14’s again. As much as I love the Opals, the ES14’s seem to capture the essence of the music in a most beguiling way. The way they present some instruments is quite stunning and I do love that window on the mid range that you always seem to get with Epos. Would be interested to see how they compare as last time I had both I preferred the ES11’s. But these ES14’s work very well in my current room.

Interestingly, the one thing I noticed with unmodified Naim amps is how they limit the potential imaging capabilities of Epos speakers.

So just out of interest what speaker cable do you all use with your epos. Have you had great results using a particular brand? Im using QED XT400 at the moment which isnt bad, Its a little bit in your face with the es12 but as my 11s are a bit tamer it suits perhaps a little better suited to them. Any cable you think is great to look out for?

Not out of choice but what I have , used it with my Monitor Audio R852mds - and you cant buy it now as its obsolete - Chord Carnival Silver Screen. Seems ok.

https://www.whathifi.com/chord-company/carnival-silver-screen/review

wasnt too expensive neither too cheap. I bought on the basis of the whathifi review and seems a good cable - Any way I only run I think 3m of it

I do have other cheaper cables - Cable Talk 2 - the hard plastic sheathed one in must be 8 or so metres worth but havent tried that as too long so no need.

Is it worth buying the ES11 If the cone of the bass driver have some noticeable scratch?

If it is the cone then probably not, but if you are actually talking about the phase plug (the bit in the middle) then that would make very little difference if any to the sound. Personally I wouldn't want to, because if they have been scratched externally, what could have happened to them on the bits you can't see as clearly.

If it is the cone then probably not, but if you are actually talking about the phase plug (the bit in the middle) then that would make very little difference if any to the sound. Personally I wouldn't want to, because if they have been scratched externally, what could have happened to them on the bits you can't see as clearly.

Thank You for the reply. I mean the polymer cone, not the rubber plug located right in the polymer cone.

A couple of scratches isnt going to make the slightest bit of difference to you or the sound, unless you have bad OCD. You'll be hard pushed to get a set without some, these are old speakers now but they still sound as good as new offerings.

A couple of scratches isnt going to make the slightest bit of difference to you or the sound, unless you have bad OCD. You'll be hard pushed to get a set without some, these are old speakers now but they still sound as good as new offerings.

Scatches on cabinets is common thing, but not on the drivers. Anyway I still thinking of buying this speakers.

Scatches on cabinets is common thing, but not on the drivers. Anyway I still thinking of buying this speakers.

A few scratches on the speakers themselves is not going to hurt. They're great speakers go for it you might become a fan like some of us!!

And I never was a fan of NACA5. In my experience of it years ago was it tended to be shouty, harsh and forced at its worst.
Isn't Naim mean't to be dodgy when using non Naim speaker cable? My olive system is certainly shouty, ok with some music, but not others, are there any specs to follow when looking for alternative Nac a4/5 cable?

Isn't Naim mean't to be dodgy when using non Naim speaker cable? My olive system is certainly shouty, ok with some music, but not others, are there any specs to follow when looking for alternative Nac a4/5 cable?
Yeah with the older naim gear you do have to be careful, I'm no expert there best check the naim forum. Mine is a newer naim black amplifier, they aint quite as fussy I think.

Yes, 11s are a very nice overall package.
Other than the lack of low bass which is excusable given the size, and a touch on mid quack, very good speakers and bargains at used prices.
Hi Robert . Does £300 seems an ok price to pay for a pair of epos es11 with original stands ? The seller is saying that they are brand new still boxed , he sent me a picture which seems to tell the truth. Thank you , Andrea .

Hmm. Brand new and boxed after 30 years!

My pair are not brand new; have sat in a box in the garage for some considerable time and the original stands would require some anodysing. The cones are perfect. There is some superficial damage to one corner of the front baffle. I’ve made multiple attempts to sell them but rightly in my view, they would not reach three figures.

So, how do a pair of ES11s end up being brand new and boxed 30 years down the line?

Hmm. Brand new and boxed after 30 years!

My pair are not brand new; have sat in a box in the garage for some considerable time and the original stands would require some anodysing. The cones are perfect. There is some superficial damage to one corner of the front baffle. I’ve made multiple attempts to sell them but rightly in my view, they would not reach three figures.

So, how do a pair of ES11s end up being brand new and boxed 30 years down the line?
The story goes , the original owner bought a lot of hi fi gear back in the day and some was never used or taken out of the box
Now , his sons are selling off quite a few things . I can say that I got a pair of Proac tablettes anniversary last week. They were indeed new , the box was still sealed and I was the first person to open it and the speakers inside still had a white sticky seal from proac which was again untouched .
Going back to the es11 and original stands which as I said , seem to be new and never used , what shall I do . I got them to agree on a £250 deal if it is all brand new of course . Is it too much , and they are still around 30years old , even if unused. What is your advice , thanks .

If that's true, my advise buy them, no matter price 250 or 300.
One of the all-time best bookshelf speakers IMO, and with the proper stands.

That is if its not a scam.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of ES11s and original stands for £225, so unless not having been used in 30 years is an issue I'd say that's a decent price.

And glorious things they are too IMO. If you take the time to get their siting and your listening position just so they will pay you back. Small movements can make a big difference. FWIW I listen nearfield in about a 5' triangle, with them 8" from the front wall and slightly toed in, say about 10 degrees.

I have fond memories of the ES11 having bought a pair new from Uxbridge Audio I think.

Was a little disappointed with the stands though having saved up to buy them later as I thought they sounded better on some lighter three legged ones (I think they were made by JPW) that were half the price of the Epos.

£250 sounds like a bargain presuming unused drivers don't go off.

advertisement

Back