advertisement

Entrance Test to Study Modern Car Engine Design?

Si74

pfm Member
Failed miserably as I only managed to make it necessary to remove ten components, twelve hoses, 34 bolts
( mostly in totally inaccessible locations), 16 connectors made impossible to disconnect, a wiring harness wired bar tight to ensure the need of a midget
contortionist auto electrician to repair the broken wires (should you be lucky enough to find the correct connectors).
Practical failed miserably as I only incurred 14 lacerations and lost a mere 3 pints of blood working on the mock up engine.
Air turns Blue often working on my old Ford, the wife's old Astra- decided easier to scrap the crap but my love affair with Honda is/was waning rapidly till I saw the utter insanity my mechanic pal was trying to deal with today on a Peugeot Diesel, mind boggling insanity or French Iunacy?
No wonder they are now called Technicians and if you thought Linn tight was tight, imagine needing the leverage of half a scaffold pole on the socket wrench to remove your spark plugs?
Thinking of going back to cycling!

Sorry , omitted the fact this exercise was intended as 'virtually@ replacing a Knock Sensor. Facts are stranger than Fiction.

Ha! sounds about right, Many are certainly designed with no thought to being fixed, no wonder they put a plastic cover over the engine, it hides the insanity lurking beneath!

Heal yourself, watch Stephan Papadakis strip down the new Supra engine (BMW) and all is right with the world...some interesting technology in this engine, everything seems so compact (having to turn down a spark-plug socket to get the spark-plugs out!), no wonder for such a powerful car the fuel economy is surprisingly good (when your driving relatively normally).

advertisement

Back