advertisement

EMT930 Strobe Lamp

ingro41

Hello all,

I have been lurking around this forum for a while. Great site indeed!

A question for en EMT expert:
Because I´m not so good in reading schematics, I can´t figure out the voltage of the strobe lamp. Mine is dead, and I have measured about 100V in the lampholder, but it seems to be at 100Hz, and I am not sure if that measureing is correct.

Can anyone explain and give me the correct data/figures for this lamp?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings,
Inge

I have no idea about the lamp at all, but I'm certainly impressed that you have a 930! I'd love to try one at some point, it has to be the most substantial idler deck ever made, a beautiful thing. One of a very few things that makes a 301 look like a toy!

Tony.

Hello Tony,

I got it about a year ago from a Swedish TV Station for approximately £30 (sic). I have serviced it according to the service instructions, a.o. trimmed the motor cap to corret value. Now it runs smoothly and without any rumble. I´m very satisfied! It came with the old Ortofon 10½" arm. That was a bonus I think. On the other side my Garrard 401 and Thorens TD124 are not bad at all.

Inge

30 quid for a 930! That is stunning. I know someone who found one of the DD EMTs in a skip, I thought that was the deck bargain of the century, but I'd pay the extra 30 quid for a 930!

How do you rate the three, i.e. 124 vs. 401 vs. 930?

Tony.

Well, it´s hard to favour one of them. But in short: the 124 is gentle and a little layed back, 401 has punch and is very "live" and the 930 is dead silent and exact in it´s reproduction.
As a conclusion, I like them all.

Inge

Thank you nightcleaner for your answer. I have spent a lot of time with both those sites, but silly as I am, I didn´t thougt of that possibility. Well you lern as long as you live!

no problem. Question how do you think the Legendary gates turntables With the Gray arm as used by the pirate radio stations and American radio stations. Introduced into BBC radio stations with Radio One and two . Which they used right up to parts became impossible to obtain. Compare To the EMT. Did you ever see any comparisons or is one just as beautifully built as the other. They both very rugged and professional i understand.

If this subject matter interests you i think this information is wrong on this website these turntables are Ruscco turntables they come in all sorts of pretty colours. it states indestructible gates. But there not gates turntables.

http://www.bobleroi.co.uk/ScrapBook/Sovereign_2UK/Sovereign_UK2.html

These are http://www.btinternet.com/~roger.beckwith/bh/cons/consb_3.htm

Note the massive arm made by gray labs. I read that when the pirate radio ships used these they used to balance a half crown on the arm in rough weather. .

Hi nightcleaner,
Here in Sweden those tables are very unusual. I´ve only seen and heard one Ruscco, I don´t know what version, with factory arm, and was not impressed by the sound, cause it rumbled to much. But the table was mounted on a ½" board and nothing else. and that was not "fair". In my opinion all idlers must be mounted in a heavy plinth. If I can get my hands of one of those it would be very interesting, after cleaning and serviceing, to try out a well working plinth for it.
Regarding to the Gray arms and it´s clones, I have for several years kept an eye for it, but not seen one for sale, at least not here in Sweden. What I can understand it´s an oil damped arm, very suitable for heavy mono cartridges a.o. older Ortofons and Denon 102, not to forget General Electric GERPX and GEVRII.

advertisement

Back