advertisement

EMT 938 and Thorens 524 (EMT-based)

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
EDITED:
Are anyone here familiar with any of these turntables?
Would they qualify for a person's last turntable?
As they do have phono stages on board, I would also appreciate a word or two about that aspect.
Aso whether other carts than EMT can be used on the EMT 938 without too much compromise.

I've owned all of the direct-drive EMT models. I still have two.
I know them well.
You can PM me if you want.

I got a lot of food for thought. These decks are available Denmark but it is too risky to make a trade for either of these vintage turntable. I will hold on to my phono stage advertised on PFM. Better go for more recent turntables, or a more than decent linetage.

I’ve probably mentioned this before, but when I worked for a well-known national broadcasting corporation 20-odd years ago our department had a little turntable on a trolley that was wheeled round from room to room should a producer require any music from vinyl. As the process was a pain compared to ripping a CD the poor thing was treated with disdain by all and sundry.

When the time came to move to new ultra-modern premises there was no room in the shiny new future for things like vinyl, so it was no longer wanted. I last saw it surrounded by old carpet tiles and plastic sheets in a storeroom. I’m almost certain it ended up in a skip.

Of course you have guessed the punchline - I later discovered it was an EMT 938. I still kick myself on a regular basis.

I am sure this happened a lot over time since the CD arrived on the scene. I bought a modified Thorens TD160 mk ii with a Poly Push suction device, a Morch UP4 arm and an Ortofon MC 200 cart in 1984 after its owner had traded it in against a top-class CD player. That lasted me until 2017 with only a minimum of service cost and two new carts.

advertisement

Back