advertisement

Emma Raducanu continues to improve.

Well, I'm surprised at your comment, as punctuation supposedly makes for easier reading. I'm trying to work out how 'excessive' punctuation can still be accurate punctuation; surely, there's only one use for each, with the exception of speech and quotation marks, and that's controversial. Interesting observation, nonetheless.

Give me Mike's posts any day over the unreadable plop some seem to think is acceptable.

Better jokes too.

Same here with the noise.

And for some reason I also found it quite difficult to follow the ball when it was near the net. Odd considering at Wimbledon it's a green background not blue.

Anyway, what a fantastic performance and match. Fast, aggressive, risk-taking tennis. And if that wasn't enough neither of them did much grunting, bar Emma's punctured paddling pool noises every now and then.

I thought it was their trailing foot making contact after the serve? You’d only hear it on a hard court.

Oh ok. I can’t remember being aware of it before though.

Also, no line judges and a recorded ‘Out’ or ‘Fault’ (or whatever it was) is very future, though seemed a little eerie and unusual.

Oh ok, I can’t remember being aware of it before though.

Also, no line judges and a recorded ‘Out’ or ‘Fault’ (or whatever it was) is very future, though seemed a little eerie and unusual.

I’m speculating about the noise, but when I play on hard court my feet do make a noise on landing….struggling to think what else it could be.

Judging from what I could see on the TV, I think Flushing Meadow trails far behind Wimbledon as a venue. I like the fact all lines still have judges, the ball boys/girls are immaculate in their movement and there’s little to no overt advertising around the court. FM looks like a generic American sports venue in comparison.

Becker was ranked 20th when he first won Wimbledon

he was still unseeded and almost a year younger than Emma so a similar performance..

as for live tennis I used to go to Hoylake to watch the pros who went there as a Wimbledon warm up - what I do recall was how hard they hit the ball - wooden rackets those days, how small the court was and finally how low over the net the ball went… just phenomenal skills employed… I did see Andy Murray in Liverpool when GB played Poland in the Davis Cup - with modern carbon frame racquets it was nigh impossible to see the ball tbh

Jolly good game. Stunning result and nice to have a female champion at tennis again. Hope she has the mental strength to survive the circus of hangers on about to descend for their share of the coming millions.

I think Flushing Meadow trails far behind Wimbledon as a venue...

Have to agree, though I quite like Flushing Meadow’s rowdiness... “Excuse me, just coming past with my hotdogs” in the middle of a game. (Not sure how much I’m exaggerating there.) Watching over the past week, it seems less noisy than I remember though, both crowd and planes from nearby La Guardia.

he was still unseeded and almost a year younger than Emma so a similar performance

Definitely. Only top 16 seeded back then, ofc. Shame there was never a Becker-McEnroe Wimbledon final... would’ve been an interesting clash of the old and new.

Becker wouldn’t have stopped play for a medical time out either, he was always diving for every volley and his legs were black and blue most of the time I recall?

Becker wouldn’t have stopped play for a medical time out either, he was always diving for every volley and his legs were black and blue most of the time I recall?

That sounds a bit like snidely accusing the girl of gamesmanship, which is rather unfair. If bleeding to the point of blood visibly trickling down his leg, on a hard surface, especially in his heyday which was also the heyday of AIDS let's not forget, Becker would, just like Raducanu, have had to stop to get the bleeding staunched whether he liked it or not.

I remarked on that as I heard it in almost every serve. Could be echo or poor sound recording. Have never experienced it before.

I heard that too and kept on wondering why the serves weren't being called back.

For the benefit of the complainant, here's an improvement on your punctuation. :)

I stand corrected, although Filipina would be more appropriate. I'm surprised at your comment as punctuation supposedly makes for easier reading. I'm trying to work out how 'excessive' punctuation can still be accurate punctuation. Surely there's only one use for each, with the exception of speech and quotation marks, and that's controversial. Interesting observation nonetheless.

Not sure I agree it’s an improvement. Maybe it’s simpler, but it reads like it was written for somebody of limited reading ability now.

One of the most fascinating aspects is the change from Wimbledon meltdown to cool, calm and collected all the way through. Looks mentally bullet-proof now.
I'd love to know the process of that journey.

I believe the sequence is roughly as follows:

1) Piers Morgan accuses her of mental weakness,
2) Piers doubles down as Emma advances in the US Open.
3) Piers accuses people criticising his use of mental health as a weapon as woke.
4) Piers credits himself with helping Emma overcome her demons to win the US Open.

I wonder what it could be about the attractive, successful, racially mixed, immigrant woman 40 years his junior that has triggered Piers so much?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis...r/news-story/59c22003bb45d864d020c59a48b86037

I thought they were sat inside the letter box shaped windows you could see low down on the back wall. Which it then occurred to me was a development that might've saved a lot of bad backs given the leapfrog stance they use in SW19.

I believe the sequence is roughly as follows:

1) Piers Morgan accuses her of mental weakness,
2) Piers doubles down as Emma advances in the US Open.
3) Piers accuses people criticising his use of mental health as a weapon as woke.
4) Piers credits himself with helping Emma overcome her demons to win the US Open.

I wonder what it could be about the attractive, successful, racially mixed, immigrant woman 40 years his junior that has triggered Piers so much?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis...r/news-story/59c22003bb45d864d020c59a48b86037

Morgan is just a professional gobshite who's achieved nothing in life aside from serial personal disgrace.

advertisement

Back