advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

@CliffB l certainly noted a very large increase in performance with the LS40 on the ProAc Tablette 10, made the speaker sound bigger too- did not try the LS40 on my Audionote ANK/LX though was too busy enjoying the music on the ProAc's.:D

Final thoughts from me before I send the demo LS-40s onto the next person.
The big difference is the wider soundstage compared to my Witchhat Phantom cables. The soundstage is bigger which brings with it an impression of greater clarity.
But it's not a sufficient compelling difference to make me want to purchase a set of LS-40s.
I can't really discern any difference in the bass as others have found.
I really want to try the LS-80s (@ABCaudio) as I 'think' they may justify the upgrade.

All very interesting but I see little here suggesting the speaker cables - 40 or 80 - have been compared to significantly more expensive alternatives and preferred.
Not knocking them in any way as I haven’t heard them....:)

We generally don't ask for comparisons (testimonials are welcome though), as preference is more subjective than a gauge of actual merit. However, in this thread the LS-80 was compared to Stage 3 concept and the LS-40 to Anzus A2, both are pretty pricey (and hitherto unheard of by me, at least). On different forums there are some head-to-head comparisons with TQ cables, for obvious reasons, and EWA tends to come out top.

All that being said, I would be much happier if you/anyone demo something yourself in your own system and context, and form your own preference - you are most welcome to try.

Latest list revision:
17 February 2021 Edit:

Ze List:

@Amber Audio
@Cereal Killer
@Yivez
@Dan K
@Muttley2
@Chris Tarling
@Bettisdad
@OldSkool
@Discopants
@Rajive Aggarwal
@justpassing
@Cappuccino

A few dropped out over the holidays and have been reinserted above, along with new faces and procrastinators. ;)

This trial/tour thingy is open to all, no need to have anything more than a passing interest in hifi and love for music. So long as you are an upstanding member of pfm (assuming we have such people)...

Simple rules:

1. Don't pinch the cable.

2. Be honest: post impressions/reviews (I would love to use some on https://ABCaudio.biz eventually). And don't pinch the cable.

3. Cover postage costs, preferably tracked. I can help with this if asked (UPS - usually a tenner or so).

4. Don't pinch the cable.

Please PM your interest in trialling:

EWA LS-80 (3M, single wired)

EWA MCS-5 power cable (1.5M)

EWA USB (90CM)

EWA IC-25 (1.2M, both RCA and XLR available)

I am thinking that LS-80 could go around on it's own, and perhaps all the others in a single box as a set? Of course, some will want to hear the whole lot together, perhaps they can go at the front of the queue.

One thing to note - postage is pretty hefty with gear that weighs this much. Perhaps it's best if I arrange each postage collection/drop, and each participant pays me for it? It'll be cheaper via our shipping agents.

I'll get this organised for May.

@Bettisdad so when you ordering a pair :D

What's the system/context and current cables set?

I’ll be doing more listening this week and would like to try the 80s before I make any decision on buying.

Wider soundstage has been mentioned a few times on this thread but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily wider, there just seems to be a lot more going on in the same space! Obviously this is only my perception in my room and system.
My system consists of -

P3, with PSU and upgraded platter and sub platter. AN Arm 1v2, AN Iq1
Audio Note Oto phono Se
AN J lx speakers

Turntable will have been upgraded by the time I get a chance to try the Ls80s.

I’ll be doing more listening this week and would like to try the 80s before I make any decision on buying.

Wider soundstage has been mentioned a few times on this thread but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily wider, there just seems to be a lot more going on in the same space! Obviously this is only my perception in my room and system.
My system consists of -

P3, with PSU and upgraded platter and sub platter. AN Arm 1v2, AN Iq1
Audio Note Oto phono Se
AN J lx speakers

Turntable will have been upgraded by the time I get a chance to try the Ls80s.

That should all sound absolutely wonderful, I'll be interested to hear what you think.

My time with the cables is coming to an end so could @OldSkool dm me your address and I’ll forward them on. It’ll either be Friday afternoon or first thing Saturday when I get chance to post.

I’ll hopefully get a few more hours listening in before then and post my thoughts on the cables over the weekend. Spoiler alert* They’re really very good!

Last edited:
Will hopefully pick the cables up from the post office tomorrow - was at work when they tried to deliver Monday and haven't had the chance to pick them up yet. Should get the chance to hook them up and have a listen this weekend.

advertisement

Back