advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

Hi All , first post here and joined because of this thread which has led to my purchase of a 3.5m pair of EWA LS-25 cables with jumpers . These cables first came to my attention on the Naim forum which I Contribute to occasionally ( I recognise a couple of names here Dan/Ryder etc) ,there was a thread discussing TQ cables , I'd been happily using TQ Blacks for 4 years and the EWA's came up on there due to Colins links etc.

My system is a Naim Core server , Chord Hugo DAC , Naim Supernait2 as Pre , Naim 250DR Power and ATC 19.2 Speakers . The TQ Blacks were the first cables that removed any scepticism I had over cable effect and I'd always coveted TQ Ultra Blacks but was put off by the price tag . After reading this thread (Thanks OP) and numerous others likening them to Ultra's I called Mark Grant (very helpful) and ordered a set on sale or return . They are staying !!

Straight from the off there's a difference and I haven't done any A/B testing with the TQs as yet . There's much more clarity , detail , depth and most of all music . Not to mention the famous PRAT . I've never tried Ultra Blacks but can say these are on a much higher level than the Blacks , I'll post more in a few weeks when they've settled properly .

Definitely worth trying IMO .

Hi - welcome Pete :)

It's a damn fine way of finishing a system off hey... was quite a surprise how the EWA LS-25s reveal the true potential of my simple (yet decent:)) system!

Not to mention the famous PRAT..bingo! I think 70 to 90 hours should see them burn in and start to sing!

1m set? How's that work with the 130pro?

Why wouldn't they, be good to know. I was told that 3m cables is the minimum but my kit is right next to each other, if they offer a 1m option that is fine by me I don't need to spend more as it isn't needed.

Is there a rule as such then to SC lengths? Be good to know some thoughts?

I'm of the opinion if the actual maker of the cable offers a 1m version then it must be ok, am I wrong here :-(

No rule in such things other than system and speaker positioning. To have such speakers as the Sopra 2s and the 130pro driving them say 6ft away from each other wouldn't be my impression of a well setup system.

Well not sure the speakers are positioned as per room correction software, wall placement etc etc, bass traps you name it, the 3m NACA5 is all over the flaming place and annoying me so 1m works for me and cheaper too. Skinny rectangular room size its fine and working for me after weeks of pissing about :)

1m speaker cables seems incredible, unless you have monoboloc amps.
Seems like with the bends required in the cables your speakers could only be about 4ft apart? Even then, the cables will be suspended in mid air.

I'm a bit jealous that you manage to get away with 1m cables, I need 7m cables which tends to put a brake on speaker cable experiments:) By the time I've put calculate in to the websites, a) my system doesn't sound broken, and b) it makes me feel like going on an amazon vinyl fest.

1m speaker cables seems incredible, unless you have monoboloc amps.
Seems like with the bends required in the cables your speakers could only be about 4ft apart? Even then, the cables will be suspended in mid air.

that's my first impressions too! Dan, you got a pic or two?

Well not sure the speakers are positioned as per room correction software, wall placement etc etc, bass traps you name it, the 3m NACA5 is all over the flaming place and annoying me so 1m works for me and cheaper too. Skinny rectangular room size its fine and working for me after weeks of pissing about :)

Dan - you got some pics of the way its setup and room?
What the distance between the speakers and how far away do you sit from them?

Mine have arrived, will try them out tomorrow. I have balanced monoblocks and external crossovers ergo, amp to crossover is a measly 20 odd cms plus 4 x 50 cms lengths from crossovers to speakers.

Dan - you got some pics of the way its setup and room?
What the distance between the speakers and how far away do you sit from them?

Yes you have all got me thinking, my current NACA5 are 3m and are a pain, but maybe 1m is being too optimistic?

The gap between the rear walls, side walls, sitting poison is inch perfect, the room end is skinny, so will re-measure I might be off by 0.5m so that means 2m lengths, I just don't want to spend more than i really have to.

Will measure again :)

Don't forget if you change speakers and the input on them is say 600mm - 700mm off the floor you'll have a metre there alone! IMHO buy a little extra now, and the cables last many systems. I don't often spend decent money on cables. When I decided these were keepers my intention is that I have cables for the foresable.

Good point, the Sopra 2 connections are on the floor and the amp is on the lower shelf so the length needed to connect isn't much, but yes if the connections were at the top of these speakers that is 500mm at least right there, needs a small re-think .....

My speakers are on 600mm stands and the input is half way up the speaker, once a few curves are added theres easily 800-900mm just in the bit from the floor up to the speaker itself.

I have my amps and crossovers sitting on a spare pair of speakers stands behind the actual speakers. I've changed just the Amp to crossover cable to start with and yes, there's a quite obvious change for the better from the get go. A degree more heft at the low end and the black spaces around voices etc etc, is definitely more apparent.

advertisement

Back