advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

Don't know he doesn't say, I just read it in one of the online review. And IIRC on the TQB thread I had running a 5-6 weeks ago. That's where and how I found out about the EWA LS-25.

Massive marketing against well nothing (TQB vs EWA)

Retailers vs a single on-line shop

I would suspect it's very close to TQ without being the same, Colin got shafted by TQ and ousted from the company and lost all rights to the stuff he designed.

Yes he did say (in the same thread I mention in the post above) that they'd fallen out over somethings that wasn't to be aired.

The LS-25 is effectively Ultra Black MKII or even close too/an improvement of TQBs Black Diamond (which IIRC is small car money, frankly ridiculously priced) If it is 'up there' then for the price Mark Grant is currently selling it for seems like a good investment ;). lets hope the prices don't go up once they (want to?) start a marketing/mag campaign.

Massive marketing against well nothing (TQB vs EWA)

Retailers vs a single on-line shop

Yes well, regardless of their grievances. Colin designed all of the old offerings that made TQ. Now he's designed these, apparently to be better... I've not heard TQB Ultra's simple because a 3.5m pair its approx £1800, the LS-25 are a shade under a 1/3 of the price.. Which is still expensive but then again remarkable considering.

How - it looks like the same conductor diameter, same construction and same insulation........?

However, I see it is about half the price (though far from cheap).

Hi Sorry no it is not, but shhhh do not tell anybody, it may have been the future of another cable but my life's work with them was cut short by stupid greed.
EWA prices are not greed based but value based, and Mark does a great job better than the last mob to be honest.

;)

I have, to be honest, something of a psychological hurdle to overcome with expensive cable.

I would need two 4 metre runs of this cable which according to the website would cost almost £900.

That's:

Half the cost of my speakers
Almost the cost of my Croft 25R Preamp
More than my Croft Power Amp
Twice the cost of my Auralic Steamer

I am in no doubt that they would make a positive impact on my system and I guess it is a matter of accepting that the cable is a component and not just a necessary add on.

Maybe a home trial would the best way to go.....

I have, to be honest, something of a psychological hurdle to overcome with expensive cable.

I would need two 4 metre runs of this cable which according to the website would cost almost £900.

That's:

Half the cost of my speakers
Almost the cost of my Croft 25R Preamp
More than my Croft Power Amp
Twice the cost of my Auralic Steamer

I am in no doubt that they would make a positive impact on my system and I guess it is a matter of accepting that the cable is a component and not just a necessary add on.

Maybe a home trial would the best way to go.....

4m pair are £725 which is still big money. Speak to Mark, haggle ;)

My speaker cable came out of a skip.
It's 16mm csa wire rated at 90 amps continuous and is best soldered with a blow torch sounds much better than NACA5.

4mm csa 56 strand used to be the thing years ago it's still available and cheap may be it should be revisited and compared to modern cables.

Pete

With difficulty to start with, I now use 50 amp Anderson connectors on my hackernaps and spades on my Arks.

Pete

advertisement

Back