advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

Just to add the one thing without question on this set up is more bass.

Thought I had more 'air' around the playback of ACDC Back in Black.

Vocals highs all fine, do feel these LS-5s are missing the mids, not quite as joined up yet, but this is very very early days for me so I'm sure I have a little while to go before they are synced into this system.

Need to reconnect the NACA5s so I can hear the differences.

I may have this wrong (!) but isn't the LS25 the same cable materials as the LS-5 but with the +ve/-ve runs separated out by a larger distance into two parallel runs (presumably to increase inductance)? Hence the '2' and the '5' in '25'.

For you system and quality of components, I'd really be looking at the LS25s Dan

Yes the 5m LS-5 were on PFM and I got them for £200, which I was happy to outlay and test as such, I couldn't quite step into the LS-25s off the bat.

I need to sell a NAIM Hi-Line, the 3m NACA5 I have and then I can hopefully sell the LS-5 and do an 'upgrade' to LS-25, in the meantime until they sell enjoy these LS-5 until that time.

Also if the LS-5 didn't work out I would not be out by much to move them on, so I am just waiting for these LS-5s to really dig in with my set up and then decide while selling the other cables in the gap :) This my thinking way anyways ......

I may have this wrong (!) but isn't the LS25 the same cable materials as the LS-5 but with the +ve/-ve runs separated out by a larger distance into two parallel runs (presumably to increase inductance)? Hence the '2' and the '5' in '25'.

No it is very different dielectric properties and thicker conductor, and better EMC resistant.;)

Update on the LS-5 as they work their way into this set up.

I am starting to enjoy these cables, more bass and close to how I want it, but SAM on the Devialet is set to 100%, shows how it was before I had these added.

More revealing in the highs, background vocals sound very good to me.

Starting to hear those guitar plucks on the strings, that little 'scrape' noise of the fingers rubbing along the strings, that kind of thing.

Bass is just more, and more defined for me, some bass notes really starting to stand out.

So far after initial listen starting to really enjoy, will put NACA5 back on soon and see what the differences seem to be between the two.

25-08-17, 12:47 AM (Eldson Wonfor Thread)

Yes that's exactly where the biggest improvements are, I found the TQB to have a slight recessed mid/upper mid. The LS-25s are fleshed out from top to bottom.

08-05-17, 11:31 PM (TQ Black Thread)

I don't feel as if I get any mid band loss. I find it really well balanced in my system which is Naim and Proac.

DOD, what system are you running the TQBs in?

Vega>ATC P1>B&W 683

theres your issue, IMHO

Me either :)

LS-5 are coming along nicely, very impressed with the amount of detail on the highs being revealed, bass is there too, reminds me in the highs of Super Lumina when I tried those but with much less harshness at the high end (sparkly springs to mind) perhaps a little more mellow and smoothly rounded off I feel.

Might need to try a set of LS-25 already on the 30 day trial, see if I can exchange or move on these LS-5s :) Blooming HiFi ......too easy to get addicted again.

25s. I had TQBs and the 5 is comparable to that. The 25 is supposedly comparable to the TQB ultras, EWA claim them to an improvement over Ultas and graphite.

As I listen more is getting revealed so far they are working very well, and for me really do have their own 'signature' already. They are really starting to gel with the system/room dynamics so do also feel I have found 'my' speaker cable after trying many through the years.

"Re cable burn in, it's actually the dielectric that "burns in" or reaches optimum charge or whatever it is that's going on. PTFE (Teflon) demonstrates this phenomena most readily, to the point that if you leave a cable unused you need to burn it in again, same with Teflon capacitors. Same for other dielectrics just more noticeable with Teflon. If you use cables with PVC dielectrics all bets are off! Have you wondered why there are no PVC capacitors?"

This statement is very true, but to add to it I must tell you a story.

In the past when Inca Tech was about we did gold plated mains plugs and socket.
First I tried Gold on to Brass and Copper but after few month the gold seemed to have rub of. But what did happen was the Gold molecules were adsorbed into the brass and more so into the copper. So to stop this a Nickel plated first then Gold, this works well no migration visible. This was confirmed to me last week when I had a Claymore MK1 with H-PAK obsolete FET's in for a upgrade it worked but it had been on from 1978 to 2017 and never been switched of. All the original Claymores were fitted with Gold plugs and this was no exception. The white plastic Delta Plug was yellow and a bit grubby but the Gold pins were still bright and looked new.
Then whilst working in a foreign country we discovered Lead based solder also migrated into copper and mildly effected the connection performance after only few hour use when conducting current it had actually improved. Next we tried Silver based solder and again improvements.
So maybe not only does the dielectric change but the connection changed.
Soon we did longer test runs and found that Silver to Brass or copper at first worked very well but degraded after time, removing the connector from the socket/plug was harder to do as the Silver had migrated to the Copper/Brass socket, resulting in connector being much harder to separate, this did not happen with the Gold plugs.

So what do you think we should do about that? and does the running time effect the connectors ?

What do YOU think?

Dan, I'm glad you're enjoying them. They are effectively unused before you got them.

If you like what they do in specific areas (it looks like you're dialling into them nicely), the LS-25 do the same thing in orders of magnitude. Across the entire frequency range. It is not so subtle as the LS-5 either.

Colin, from what you're saying, should I have used silver solder in preference to lead when rewiring my speakers? Would you expect an audible difference, or just a longer lasting connection?

Also, how does temperature fit into the dialectric issue? I understood that the swelling and contraction of conductor and dialectric could stretch the dialectic and/or insulation, introducing air. Is that a bad thing?

Also, how does temperature fit into the dialectric issue? I understood that the swelling and contraction of conductor and dialectric could stretch the dialectic and/or insulation, introducing air. Is that a bad thing?

You need a temperature and humidity controlled listening room where such parameters are controlled.

Like a museum or an art gallery.

advertisement

Back