1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

Discussion in 'audio' started by Cereal Killer, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Dan43

Dan43 pfm Member

Thanks Megeake2

I have the LS-5 (bought on PFM last week) and finally getting home to try them tonight (long work trip), not the LS-25 you have but hoping they work for me, if they do perform as reported I might just end up upgrading. Replacing NACA5.

2. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

1m? Is that not practically headphones you've got, then? ;-)

3. Megeake2

Megeake2 New Member

Kind of...family living has managed to get in the way of optimal placement.
    TBH its not too bad as the A3 amp has speaker binding posts at each side of it (however I'm almost ashamed to admit that I could move the speakers another 25cm apart (each))!

4. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Handy if you want to wear a sombrero while listening.

5. Dan43

Dan43 pfm Member

Just had my first listen to the LS-5 only for about 3-4 songs (its late) after playing my favourites as is to get back to the current sound and get my ears lined up as such.

Initially/instantly there was a change, softer I think, not quite sure how to describe, this is from NACA5.

Definitely more bass, need to turn SAM down. Mids felt a little behind.

This is just a very quick listen tonight, need more time as they get used to this system.

6. Dan43

Dan43 pfm Member

I have TQ system preparation set up files as a download and running this today while out, never sure if all these pops and whistles and bass bumps work but they apparently stretch the high and low ends more (making the speaker cones work harder so it says) and help integrate all your constituent parts as such.

Probably more for me than the system, ah well.

7. mattykyuss

mattykyuss pfm Member

That sounds the same as what tq b did to my system ,lots more bass ,but softer highs and treble,feeling it might not work for me ,be intresting once youve had it in the system for longer.

8. Dan43

Dan43 pfm Member

Playing some of my go to 24bit songs like Hotel California, The Chain, Tommy etc. Needs more time of course but certainly the highs have a little more sparkle/dazzle but softer, so not harsh, I can pick out those plucks on the guitar strings on The Chain and Pinball Wizard.

Vocals sound excellent, staging good so far.

9. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

I had TQBs, replaced them with LS-25s. Different game altogether...

Dan, how's the REF 1s?

10. Dan43

Dan43 pfm Member

Haven't picked them up yet, Nintronics is a bit of a drive so hopefully next week now.

The Sopra 2 have perked up mind with the new LS-5 cables. While still playing do the LS-25s bring out the mids more, might need to do a comparison soon :)

11. Alan Brown

Alan Brown Registered LUser

This is undoubtedly true, but the LS-5 is the closest relation TQ black. The LS-25 is an TQ Ultra Black beater for sure, and to my ears it wallops Graphite also at a fraction of the outlay.

I actually rewired my speakers with my old TQ black. It is a swine to work with but it makes nice sounds in there.

12. Alan Brown

Alan Brown Registered LUser

Yes IMO. Gloriously so. 😊

13. Cereal Killer

Yes that's exactly where the biggest improvements are, I found the TQB to have a slight recessed mid/upper mid. The LS-25s are fleshed out from top to bottom. This is the point I referenced early on when saying;
    they're not only a clear invisible window to the music but a window with the 'invisible glass' removed, allowing the air and atmosphere into the room/music.

I appreciate that's a lot of flowery bollox, but hopefully you'll get my drift...

14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I've heard of veils being lifted before but this is the first time I've heard of the glazing being removed. ;)

15. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ;)

16. Cereal Killer

Have either of you tried some yet?

17. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

As I said previously I tried the TQ blue & black and although they were ok with a Rega amp sounded terrible with a Sugden.

I'm more than happy with my Kimber 8TC and it won't be getting replaced.

18. mattykyuss

mattykyuss pfm Member

Have a rega amp myself,the tq b was not good ,realy dull sounding in the treble and highs.

19. Cereal Killer

There's a considerable difference IMHO. See post#256 :)

20. mattykyuss

mattykyuss pfm Member

Well surly you must have 1.5 mtr each speaker too much ,can i borrow ha ha