advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

I was in exactly the same camp and for some reason thought, go for it and see if they are actually any good. They are, if you have mono blocks sitting under your speakers the cable is actually dare I say it; "a bit of a bargain".

Bargain maybe stretching it (in my opinion) as I've never spent 'this much' on cables before but what they allow the system to be in comparison to others I tried are undeniably worth the investment made. I bought them at a length I hope will last me for the foresiable. I'm not a fan of foo, HiFi bling or any other type of bling in fact. I did however buy a pair of stereovox cables maybe 10-12 years ago as I got them for an excellent price but when we moved house became redundant so were sold. Those made a beneficial difference to my then ATC SIA 2-150 and SCM 20SLs. Hopefully my current systems status-quo will remain for some time as the combination of it all is rather fcuking excellent!

And this is what the system consists of: Naim SuperUniti / Proac SM100's / Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables / Atacama HMS 2.1 stands / QNAP 2TB SSDs / Mark Grant DSP 2.5 mains / CAT6A

I was in exactly the same camp and for some reason thought, go for it and see if they are actually any good. They are, if you have mono blocks sitting under your speakers the cable is actually dare I say it; "a bit of a bargain".

Well you weren't in 'exactly the same camp' because I wouldn't be fine with two metres of the stuff (which is presumably the precise market it is aimed at), I would need 20 metres of it which is utterly ridiculously priced for what it is. This whole marketing model only exists because many people these days have their equipment spaced closely between their speakers! (I also have mono-blocks).

Hello folks, first time poster here but I've been watching this thread with interest. My system is: Roon Core on intel nuc->microrendu->naim dac v1->naim nap 200->tannoy xt6fs.

I've just ordered 3m of EWA LS-25 to (possibly) replace DNM solid core speaker cable. I also have a pair of DNM HFTN's on trial and, given that they can be used with non-DNM cables, I will be trying out the EWAs with and without them installed at the amplifier end. In a chat with Denis Morecroft (DNM) I understand that the HFTNs are designed to terminate any RF noise above 1mhz from the speaker cable that would ordinarily be part of the negative feedback signal presented to the power amp. The curious thing with the EWA cable is that they are designed to cancel and/or prevent any generation of RF noise in the cable itself. So it will be interesting to see if the HFTNs have the same effect on the EWAs as they do on the DNMs (which brings greater clarity to the sound). If they don't have any obvious effect one possible conclusion is that the EWAs are doing their job. If that's the case then I will try the HFTNs at the speaker end to terminate any RF generated by the speaker circuitry. All fun and games!!

The other thing that I've been musing about is the pricing of the EWA LS-25:

1 metre pair terminated £276.00
Additional cost per metre £150.00

So the labour intensive bit is the termination of the cable. This stays the same regardless of cable length so, with some reading between the lines, the material cost of the LS-25 is £150/metre with some profit for EWA (note: apparently the LS-25 construction includes rare earth material so not going to be run of the mill cable manufacturing!). The cost of materials (gold plated z-plugs), labour and profit for Mark Grant for terminating the cables is £126.00. To me this seems pretty damn fair and transparent.

Obviously I have to wait to hear what the LS-25s are like in my system - and whether I decide to keep them - but on the face of it they look to be good value i.e. EWA and Mark Grant are not taking the pee......

£876 for a 5m pair.
I could probably get away with this, but 5.5m would allow more generous routing.

That's more than 10X what I would consider to be reasonable for speaker wires.

I would like to hear the effect is has, but at that price as well as for my own satisfaction I would want to find a DIY solution that worked as well.

By avoiding overpriced "wrold changing" kit, I've so far resisted the temptation to becomse a born again audiophile. I guess you need your fingers properly burned for that.

£876 for a 5m pair.
I could probably get away with this, but 5.5m would allow more generous routing.

That's more than 10X what I would consider to be reasonable for speaker wires.

I would like to hear the effect is has, but at that price as well as for my own satisfaction I would want to find a DIY solution that worked as well.

By avoiding overpriced "wrold changing" kit, I've so far resisted the temptation to becomse a born again audiophile. I guess you need your fingers properly burned for that.

You'd spend £85 on 11m on speaker cables. Doubt you'll even get Van-Damme tour grade for that monies.

Think I paid about £30 for 11m of VD Bue 2.5mm + a few quid for some Z-plugs.

I also have some 4mm VD hifi with Z-plugs.

The blue is better IMO.

Just bought a 5m set of LS-5 cable on PFM from Alan for £200, be good to see what the LS-5 may have and if they are enough for me then they are enough.

Anyone add anything as to what the LS-5 are possible differences than the LS-25?

Quite happy to take a punt at £200 if they are seemingly close to to the LS-25s then I will be happy as the price is fine for me too to take a test on.

Will be comparing to NACA5 on a Devialet/Melco system feeding Sopra 2 (but should have KEF REF 1s on test next week)

I bought a 5m set of LS25 speaker cable from a seller on the Art of Sound forum.

Arrived this morning. Got them plugged in and then work calls. Will have a listen later.

I am something of a cable cynic and so they will have to go some way to impress me.....

Will feed back thoughts later.

Further to my last post I've cancelled my order for the EWA LS-25. I've taken a bit of a sharp right turn and I'm going to look into active speakers aka. kef LS50W. This whole faff of achieving system synergy is all consuming.

I bought a 5m set of LS25 speaker cable from a seller on the Art of Sound forum.

Arrived this morning. Got them plugged in and then work calls. Will have a listen later.

I am something of a cable cynic and so they will have to go some way to impress me.....

Will feed back thoughts later.

Yes my 5m pair have just landed this morning will get a chance to check later also.

advertisement

Back