advertisement

Elneum 23R Amplifier

mikechadwick

pfm Member
Anybody heard one of these? It's the successor to the Bakoon 13R. looks really interesting but there's no UK distributor at the moment :(

Formerly 8thdimension audio in Norfolk ?.

Not heard any of their amps, know the older 11and 13r (Bakoon) are highly rated.

Judging by some of the photos on the Enleum FB pages they're expecting to shift a fair few units of the new model.

Hope to hear one someday..

Anybody heard one of these? It's the successor to the Bakoon 13R. looks really interesting but there's no UK distributor at the moment :(

Supposed to be a step forward sonically, but I still think the Bakoon looked sexier. Something about stroking that lacquered wooden knob.

(Even typing that I'm thinking this'll soon turn up in a search for 'antique genital prosthetics' or some such).

The other amp(s) I lust after aesthetically are the SPEC models, particularly the RSA-M99 and the RSA-V10. I'm not sure whether I'd bother listening to them or just sit and lick them.

https://spec-corp.jp/audio/RSA-M99/pdf/M99_in_image_hifi.pdf

Yes, Saturday night is fetish night...

8thDimension fell out with Enleum a couple of weeks ago - hence the lack of UK distributor. I could source one direct from Korea but worried in case anything goes wrong and it needs to be returned. I hope they appoint a new UK distributor soon - from everything I've read this could be an end-game amp for me. Kicking myself for missing out on the Bakoon 13R that was listed here and on the 'Wam a couple of months ago :oops:

8thDimension fell out with Enleum a couple of weeks ago - hence the lack of UK distributor. I could source one direct from Korea but worried in case anything goes wrong and it needs to be returned. I hope they appoint a new UK distributor soon - from everything I've read this could be an end-game amp for me. Kicking myself for missing out on the Bakoon 13R that was listed here and on the 'Wam a couple of months ago :oops:

Yup, that Bakoon sure was pretty. Very expensive though, even s/h, prices have gone up quite a bit since the original model appeared. As you say, the proprietary technology in these things (and the Spec amps too) means if they go bang in any significant way you could be looking at a long turnaround and spending major bucks on repairs. At least my Job is probably a bit simpler in case of emergency, but shipping something back to Switzerland's never exactly likely to be the budget option either.

When all is said and done, can't help thinking there's a lot to be said for a Sugden a21 Signature...

I haven’t listened to the Enleum yet myself, a couple of friends in who’s ears I trust that have, and one bought it, talked it up quite a bit, and these chaps aren’t of the flavor of the month club. I do hope to get a listen to one at some point, it intrigues me for some reason.

The SPEC gear also is a bit interesting as well, a bit eye wateringly priced a good bit of it though.

I haven’t listened to the Enleum yet myself, a couple of friends in who’s ears I trust that have, and one bought it, talked it up quite a bit, and these chaps aren’t of the flavor of the month club. I do hope to get a listen to one at some point, it intrigues me for some reason.

The SPEC gear also is a bit interesting as well, a bit eye wateringly priced a good bit of it though.

Yup, I've long been intrigued by both brands. Must be the designer in me to some extent, and of course the Bakoon 12/13 Series was basically a Mac mini with speaker terminals...

Actually joking aside, I have had conversations in recent times that for the prices now being charged by many manufacturers, the standard of fit & finish is not commensurate with the price.

It seems to be an area in which the Japanese, and nowadays Koreans apparently, still do it better than anyone else.

I've owned both Lavardin IT and Sugden Masterclass back in the day, but they were a lot cheaper then, albeit hardly budget items. Now I look at the standard of the anodising or the finish of some of the metalwork, and it's basically no better than it was 15 years ago. From a 'pride of ownership' perspective, I just think 'Nah.' For 5,6,7 grand or more, I want better than that.

I only mention those two brands because I've owned both and still rate them highly, there are plenty of others out there I could choose as examples, so I don't mean to single these two out as sub-standard in any way. I just think the standard's not all that high in absolute terms.

Both the Bakoon and SPEC gear looks to be on another level, as was the original COS pre-amp/DAC, also from Korea IIRC. The fact that I think I'd be rather tickled with the audio performance is just the icing on the cake.

Kevin at Definitive's actually offered to send me the RSA-M99 a couple of times.

The swine.

Fortunately at the moment I'm able to resist, not least because HMRC currently seem curiously insistent that if I'm going to give 10 grand to anyone at the moment, it should be them.

Ah well, back to licking the photos...

Yup, I've long been intrigued by both brands. Must be the designer in me to some extent, and of course the Bakoon 12/13 Series was basically a Mac mini with speaker terminals...

Actually joking aside, I have had conversations in recent times that for the prices now being charged by many manufacturers, the standard of fit & finish is not commensurate with the price.

It seems to be an area in which the Japanese, and nowadays Koreans apparently, still do it better than anyone else.

I've owned both Lavardin IT and Sugden Masterclass back in the day, but they were a lot cheaper then, albeit hardly budget items. Now I look at the standard of the anodising or the finish of some of the metalwork, and it's basically no better than it was 15 years ago. From a 'pride of ownership' perspective, I just think 'Nah.' For 5,6,7 grand or more, I want better than that.

I only mention those two brands because I've owned both and still rate them highly, there are plenty of others out there I could choose as examples, so I don't mean to single these two out as sub-standard in any way. I just think the standard's not all that high in absolute terms.

Both the Bakoon and SPEC gear looks to be on another level, as was the original COS pre-amp/DAC, also from Korea IIRC. The fact that I think I'd be rather tickled with the audio performance is just the icing on the cake.

Kevin at Definitive's actually offered to send me the RSA-M99 a couple of times.

The swine.

Fortunately at the moment I'm able to resist, not least because HMRC currently seem curiously insistent that if I'm going to give 10 grand to anyone at the moment, it should be them.

Ah well, back to licking the photos...

I agree on your post here. Sometimes for me, it is also that some of these pieces are just different, not the run of the mill type items. Of course they have to live up to a standard, sound wise etc. too. The Enleum just caught my eye awhile back when things were still in early stages, it has been fun to see the end result here for the 23R. At its price tag, it does give me great pause, and while I would love to listen to it, and maybe even own it, owning it is more out of the question really. I think...Really I am, and have been, quite content with what I already have, and not wanting to accumulate more things in the mix. Probably if I really liked what the Enleum did, I would have to possibly rethink my system as a whole, sell off etc. Not sure at this stage I am prepared to go down that rabbit hole at this point!

Enjoy resisting the urge on Enleum or the SPEC, at least you do have those photos to take care of!:)

I agree on your post here. Sometimes for me, it is also that some of these pieces are just different, not the run of the mill type items.

Absolutely. One favourite comment regarding my enthusiasm for straying off the beaten path was MD of a dealer asking his Sales Director "What's with all the weird shit Miles buys?"

I think any time they asked about changes to my system they had to go and Google my reply. ;-)

the attraction of the Elneum 23R for me is two-fold:
1) It can drive my HiFiMan Susvara's
2) it should be able to drive my KEF LS50 meta's.
This means i can lose a couple of pieces of kit and probably not have to spend much on the difference in price. The SPEC looks really interesting but doesn't have the flexibility of the 23R.

Didn't our old friend @Purité Audio Keith sell the Bakoon and SPEC at one point?
Be good to get his opinion? As he has heard / sold them?

Could be Badger. Would be interesting to hear his take on them. Hope all is good with you!

Probably important to differentiate between 'had one on dem' and actually 'sold.'

To be fair though, kudos to Keith for his 'talent spotting ability' if nothing else. That said, there are people I know (both acclaimed audio designers) whose opinions I would pay far more heed to (than Keith's) who rate the Bakoon and SPEC amps very highly.

Spec had real problems ( when we imported them) high than ‘normal’ input voltages made the produce a run to switch off asap moment, I reported the problem next model exactly the same issue.
Bakoon were really cute at that time they had the Japanese range with lacquer knobs and the more contemporary Korean designs, I never really discovered why
.We had a neat stack system 12R? amp, pre and phono, but very low power output, later tried a prototype of a larger amp which never appeared.
Keith

I am always somewhat amazed (or would that be amused?) at those things that measure downright awful on the test bench, yet manage to sound great according to the varying ears that listen to them. While measurements of various bits obviously have meaning, maybe many also really do not matter as much as we are told they should.o_O

advertisement

Back