1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Eliud Kipchonge

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gassor, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:41 AM.

1. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Just watched Kipchoge break the 2-hour barrier for a marathon and got very tearful. When so much in the world looks bad this man is a reminder of how great people can be.

2. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I turned on the TV when Kipchoge had 1km to go... holy shit, he blew 1.59.59 out of the water - 1.59.59 or quicker in race conditions will become a reality within five years I reckon. I've stopped running entirely and although I've no ambition to swap cycling for running (I want to make sure my knees make it to old age), I'm totally inspired by what he did all the same. Good luck guys with your runs or whatever it is you're doing this weekend - may your mind overcome matter no matter what!

cutting42 and gassor like this.
  3. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Astonishing feat. Amazing athletes. Any is possible.

A worthy metaphor for ‘can do’ in a tiresome sea of UK negativity, where ‘can’t do, won’t work, must fail’ all too often prevails.

4. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

An amazing feat but ever since Roger Bannister did the four minute mile and was paced I am a bit uneasy about using pace makers......miserable old sod that I am.

5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Ironic, isn’t it, that your post which started out positive, quickly descended into a ‘tiresome sea of negativity’ ;)

vuk likes this.
  6. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Try reading it again in its totality and with a positive stance.

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

ah yes trait of most PFM members.

8. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

What running marathons

Bloss

Weekender likes this.
  9. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

Not forgetting the out of work teachers whose role on pfm is to mark the work of other's.:mad:

10. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

It was inspirational to see all those great athletes, from so many parts of the world, all working together with ego to one side, not in competition today, with but one aim, to shatter this barrier.

martin clark, gassor and Weekender like this.
  11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Are you a greengrocer?

12. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

White

13. skelton

skelton pfm Member

not to mention the cars providing the slipstream as well

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

That should be 'others'. Apostrophe apocalypse. See me after class.

15. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

OK Susan

16. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

racist

17. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

I've never had any heart problems but still wouldn't be able to keep up. :)

BJP likes this.
  18. Jonn

Jonn Tons of Trouble

It was the ZoomX AlphaFly that done it oh and the $15m it cost to set it all up.

How times have changed since Roger Bannister sharpened his spikes and took half a day off from his Hospital job to run the first sub 4 minute mile.

p.s. not to take anything away from Eliud Kipchoge’s world class marathon runner status.

19. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

Indeed. Next version they will run only downhill in the Alps. It was a complete fake thing to me.

20. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

It puts the pressure on me next Sunday, for sure... :D

Seriously, though, I’ve been following Kipchoge since Breaking 2, and he is the epitome of great sportsmanship and a true beacon of human achievement. I am truly in awe of him, he is a one-off...

gassor, lordsummit, sean99 and 2 others like this.