advertisement

Electron microscope slow-motion video of vinyl LP

Wow that was great. I did not know you can peel a DVD apart. Wonder if the same is possible for Blu Ray that has even higher density?

Excellent. When you stop to think of the scale these formats operate on and bear in mind how old cd technology now is, it's mind blowing. And yes I'm looking for dvd to split...

The need for good design and precision in manufacturing turntables has never been laid more abundantly clear.

Thanks, Markus.

Joe

The need for good design and precision in manufacturing turntables has never been laid more abundantly clear.

Thanks, Markus.

Joe

And a clean stylus. I really liked the photograph of a needle on a record but the video takes it to a new level. Amazing, was the record travelling at 33.3 rpm?

The stylus in a groove vid is really interesting but it's also pretty contrived (it had to be). As stated above, the stylus isn't moving at 33.3rpm - in fact it isn't moving at all except by a tiny amount between each still - it's loads of still photographs stitched together to give the impression of movement. Also, the stylus isn't held by a tonearm with a counterbalance weight - it's held in a much more fixed relationship to the record than in a real arm. It's all clearly explained in the video - still very good though.

advertisement

Back