advertisement

Electric razors

monkfish

pfm Member
Following on from the razors thread, I use a set of cordless Wahl clippers and they work very well, the only thing they don't do is a close shave. I had a smaller Wahl clipper with an interchangeable head and it was possible to get a much closer cut with the small foil type head than the big clippers, it fell to bits, it was vey flimsy.
I'm looking for recommendations please for a cordless shaver and any pre/after shave, I suffered badly with razor burn at my last attempt with an electric.

My wife bought me a Philips with Smart Clean a few years ago. It’s similar to this one. Philips Series 9000

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My wife bought me a Philips with Smart Clean a few years ago. It’s similar to this one. Philips Series 9000

The one which caused the razor burn was a Philips rotary thing, a very primitive effort (this was 30 plus years ago). this looks much different, it was only this experience which led me to foil type heads instead of rotary.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The one which caused the razor burn was a Philips rotary thing, a very primitive effort (this was 30 plus years ago). this looks much different, it was only this experience which led me to foil type heads instead of rotary.

i prefer foil to rotary

I could never get on with rotaries even though they’re a beautiful Philips engineering design - felt more like a floor sander. Braun foil razors are great and durable too.

using one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RRWXP1M/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

really good - the cleaning station really makes a difference, but of course you are beholden to Braun for refills
I have the earlier series 8 and its still going strong. You don't have to use the cleaning station and I no longer bother as the refills are to my mind over priced and if left in situ evaporate rather quickly due to the alcohol content. So its best to remove the refill and reinsert the plug until next time and they then last longer. But then why bother with the faff?

Cheers,

DV

I use a Panasonic and a Philips. Neither are perfect but together cover the bases. The Panasonic is very quick and chomps through a couple of days of growth or more and the Philips is better for getting around the nose, corner of the mouth and hairs that are a curly especially on the neck.

Being a bearded wannabe hispter, I use a Wahl clipper set, which I then purchased the razor head clip on set so you effectively get an all in one, but seems like they offer an all in one kit now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08757FBSW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

If I was clean shaved, I would revert back to my Braun Series 5? (I think) with the easy clean cartridges. Mine is around ten years old now and works fine. Never got on with rotaries either.

I've never got on with electric 'razors'. I only shave my neck below the chin now, as I maintain a short beard..but I only use a 'wet razor'. No fuss.. just a bit of ordinary soap and a sharp blade.
I use a Wahl Beard Trimmer to keep my hair and beard cut.

I used electric for many years, never got on with the rotary system though.
My first good shaving results were from a Remington twin head, however, I refrained from buying the company...

When that died many years later I switched to the Braun twin head and stayed with that until having difficulties finding replacement foils locally ( not UK ). That lead me to reinvestigating wet shaving which I have done ever since. I keep that simple and it's the fastest method for me.

I have a Braun foil thing that I hardly ever use, 99% of the time I use a Philips One Blade.

I bought a Philips One Blade in Argos for £19.99, it's a strange thing, looks more like a toothbrush, there was a bit of charge in it when I got home so I had a go. Works surprisingly well and no sore neck, I'm quite impressed.

i was unimpressed by mine. I still use it with its adjustable guide for trimming stuff, but my main shaving is with my foil Braun Series 9

I don't have a heavy growth so it's fine for me, it takes a bit longer I admit with the small shaving surface, I had a look at the link you supplied for the braun, at £179 it looks expensive but it's less than half price, I may have one yet.

advertisement

Back