advertisement

Electric Ladyland 50th anniversary box

Okay, just one more comment: at one point last night when I was listening to the multichannel mix I genuinely felt as though I was tripping. I wasn't, of course, so I guess it must have been strong euphoric recall brought on by the trippy sounds that were so reminiscent of the trippy sounds I heard, no, experienced when I was tripping to Electric Ladyland back in the late '80s and early '90s. I won't say which song it was that produced such an intense reaction as I don't want to influence anyone's expectations in case it leads to disappointment, but what I will say is I would advise against taking acid and listening to the 5.1 mix in case you end up stuck in a permanent trip and stuck in a permanently freaked out state of mind!

I sometimes say Hawkwind took all the drugs so you don't have to in order to hear psychedelic space rock... well now I can add to that that Eddie Kramer has mixed Electric Ladyland to sound like it sounds on acid so you don't have to take acid - well done Eddie :D

Save your money unless you want the extras. The album doesn't sound awful (Blu-ray) but the UK LP and US Reprise CDs are much better to my ears.

I'm currently listening to the 5.1 downmix and it's a real trippy blast as it delivers the energy of the original mix along with the ethereal magic of Eddie's multichannel mix - you know, the mix that took me to an altered state of mind sans the trip-inducing catalyst!

Oh, FFS. Is it really that long? I was at my mate John Olma’s house when his elder brother Frank walked in and said, ‘You’ve got to hear this’. I’d already heard AATW-T on the radio but that 1983 track put the hook in me. I later realised that the Voodoo Chile on side 1 is the greatest track on any LP ever recorded.
Years later a good mate abandoned vinyl and gave me his LPs, including the album on Polydor so I have that and my Track original.
Sorry to haver on but it’s a time I look back on with great fondness.

What is AATW-T ?

advertisement

Back