advertisement

Electric Ladyland 50th anniversary box

Oh, FFS. Is it really that long? I was at my mate John Olma’s house when his elder brother Frank walked in and said, ‘You’ve got to hear this’. I’d already heard AATW-T on the radio but that 1983 track put the hook in me. I later realised that the Voodoo Chile on side 1 is the greatest track on any LP ever recorded.
Years later a good mate abandoned vinyl and gave me his LPs, including the album on Polydor so I have that and my Track original.
Sorry to haver on but it’s a time I look back on with great fondness.

TBH, as I have previously stated, I'm against continual repackaging/reissuing old stuff, but Jimi didn't leave us much before he moved on to a different plane, so we have to make do with what we've got. The prices (£50 for the CD set and £120 for the vinyl) doesn't seem to be too extortionate, so I might be tempted. I already have the 8 x LP Jimi Hendrix Experience box set, but I wouldn't think that there will be much if any overlap with that.

I remember buying this on its first release , complete in a plain brown bag ! , and its still high in my top 10 albums.

So thanks to Amazon ,this arrived his morning.... :)

jh26WmG.jpg

The word on the web - DR Database, to be precise - is that the hi-res version on the blu ray is compressed a lot! Click here to see the scores. The headlines for those who don't want to see the full horror is that the album average is 8, the minimum is 6 and the maximum is 12 (on one track only). Apart from this one 'in the green' track, there's an awful lot of red on show. How does it sound to you folkman. Is the surround version any better?

Ive only listened to the Hollywood Bowl yet , and it is a Dagger series disc. Sound quality is typically bootleg , a disc for dedicated fans really [that would be me !]

I don't hold much hope for the Electric Ladyland disc , my preferred release there is the original West German Polydor. I generally only buy Experience Hendrix releases as a last resort.

Just going to have a listen to the demo/out take disc.

Nice book.

I've seen a pic of the waveform of the stereo Electric Ladyland on blu ray and it's frightening, as you can see for yourself (pic originally posted at SHF):

jhy6pc.png

The multichannel mix is by all accounts much better as far as dynamic range is concerned.

I bought the CD/BDA box set as I'm partial to a good multichannel mix and holy fcuk, does this box set contain this one helluva good multichannel mix! Thankfully the 5.1 mix hasn't been mixed too loud so there's plenty of wick available on the volume front. Even though the stereo mix is too hot to play at boogie volume (apparently: I haven't played anything other than the multichannel mix), I think Jimi would have approved of how well Eddie Kramer has produced a swirling, enveloping, crazy as hell multichannel mix. 10/10 from me :)

Just one more thought... Electric Ladyland hasn't sounded this good since that night many years ago when I took a trip with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds :D

advertisement

Back