advertisement

Electric Car Home Charging Point? Which charger/installer?

Gerard124

Tempus fugit, memento mori
Recommendations sort for an efficient hassle free installation of an electric vehicle charging point at home?

Does the car dealer have a list of recommended installers ? Having said that I know of 2 people who did not buy an EV this time around due to the whole house needing re wiring before a charging point could be installed.

Does the car dealer have a list of recommended installers ? Having said that I know of 2 people who did not buy an EV this time around due to the whole house needing re wiring before a charging point could be installed.

That seems more than a bit excessive. OK, any earthing issues would need to addressed to bring it up to the required standard (as mandated by the current regs) but I can’t see why existing house wiring would be an issue for adding an additional supply, unless it’s patently dangerous.

Recommendations sort for an efficient hassle free installation of an electric vehicle charging point at home?
Great question! I'm test driving an EV this week (and I've hired one for next week) and almost certainly switching next year when my current car is due for replacement. Our carport is at the end of the garden at the rear of the house so it's going to be an interesting experience getting a charging point fitted.

chargers I read a lot about on the UK EV forums are Andersen and Zappi.

We have an Easee charging robot which is also very good.

BMW (3 Series 330E M Sport) recommend BP Pulse, but quick google seems to indicate long lead times and poor service - plus Mrs Gerard124 thinks their box is ugly (FFS!).

We used Joju solar (https://www.jojusolar.co.uk/ev-charging/electric-car-charging-at-home/) after they were recommended by a neighbour. They are screamingly busy, but do have an online system for collecting survey data (you have to run round taking pictures of everything) to speed things up. Installer was a very professional contractor who did a neat and tidy job.

I'd recommend them if you are not in a tearing hurry.

Thanks, I'd like to get something sorted and complete inside a month or 5/6 weeks if possible.

They did me in about 4 weeks, but I needed the contact from my neighbour to push them! Three months ago they were doing 250 a month and they have exceeded 750 a month since then. Part of the delay is getting the charger - mine took 2 weeks to arrive.

We have a Rolec and still ok after 5 years, after the government bung I think it was only about £125. Dealers/ manufacturers can often be eye watering.

PodPoint user here. Installation was quick and easy and included 15m of amoured cabled to the meter or consumer unit. It has a captive type2 plug on a 5m lead. Cost was £599 all in. It will pay for itself within a year using economy7 compared to using the public networks, unless you a free one near you, of course.

PodPoint user here. Installation was quick and easy and included 15m of amoured cabled to the meter or consumer unit. It has a captive type2 plug on a 5m lead. Cost was £599 all in. It will pay for itself within a year using economy7 compared to using the public networks, unless you a free one near you, of course.

Was it a recent install? Is there a reason you didn't opt for the universal charger?

They did me in about 4 weeks, but I needed the contact from my neighbour to push them! Three months ago they were doing 250 a month and they have exceeded 750 a month since then. Part of the delay is getting the charger - mine took 2 weeks to arrive.

BP Plus?

That seems more than a bit excessive. OK, any earthing issues would need to addressed to bring it up to the required standard (as mandated by the current regs) but I can’t see why existing house wiring would be an issue for adding an additional supply, unless it’s patently dangerous.
Not if your house is mostly wired for 13A max and you want a 32 or 40-amp charger for a Tesla.

Aren't most home chargers about the same rating as an electric shower? Why would you need a house rewired for that?

We had to change our incoming mains fuse from 60 amp to 100 amp to allow a 32 amp supply to our charger.

The old dial based meter we had could only handle 40 amps so that had to go as well.

It didn't cost anything to have the fuse changed by UK Power Network and Octopus sorted out our new meter installation.

All done on the internet.

PS We have a Merlin Gerin Consumer unit with B rated RCB's that can handle 125 amps total draw.

Apparently the B Rated thing is a requirement in the regs now for EV charger installation, as well as PME .

advertisement

Back