advertisement

Elac BS 244

Gaius

pfm Member
I heard these last night and was rather impressed to say the least.

The tweeter is just amazing and they are full of life as a speaker, very exiting.

Beautifully made, I will play with them some more; while they excel on rock it was on some Choral music they were just sublime and that was the clincher for me.

They are very dynamic and when there is a spike, as it were, in the music they just cope where others squawk or get flustered and confused, these have such a beautiful clarity.

Anyone else know them or have advice as to how to get the best from them?

I have had a pair for the last five years or so. I have a surround-setup with the BS244 in front, CC241 center and BS243 rears. This is fed by an Audiolab 8000AP processor and a DIY ICEpower amp. I must admit I very rarely use the surround sound feature, but when I do it is a great experience.

For pure stereo, I use an MDAC and either an ICEpower-based amp (which has excellent bass and soundstaging) and a DIY Pass F5 clone (which adds just that bit of midrange warmth that the Elac's are sometimes lacking). Especially with the class A amp the BS244s really sound great. That tweeter can be quite addictive :)

/U.

Still very impressed with these standmounts and talking of which they are compromised by being placed on a piece of MDF on top of my Kan stands, all very make shift.

They are quite stunning, playing at the moment Aqua by Edgar Froese, the detail is spine tingling, crystal clear with a lot of what I can only describe as presence; the tweeter is about the best I've come across and the rest is rather good too.

Over the last couple of years the other modern standmounts I have owned have been the Revel M22 and the Kef LS50, I have to say the Elac BS 244s take first place.

I will be getting some Elac stands for them soon which should raise the bar some.

So, they are staying, completely unplanned, a friend in the business dropped by on Thursday night for a few beers and a ruby, he had these in the car, we plugged them in and they have been here since then!

Very interesting indeed

Do you by any chance compare them to original ES14 ?

Hi Per

I've had two sets of ES14s and while I have not done a back to back, these Elacs would frankly wipe the floor with them.

They are a very serious bit of kit indeed.

Hi Guys:

Nice to hear that you like the Elac speakers, I have owned a pair of the older floor standing FS207.2 for several years (the earlier 200 series uses the same heil tweeter and bass diver composite construction but the main driver’s aluminium diaphragm is a smooth dish rather than the “crinkle cut” dish). The attributes you describe sit very well the reasons why I purchased mine. There is an air of openness, detail and coherency without sounding forward or strident that makes them very easy to live with.

The main thing I also like about Elac’s heil tweeter is that you don’t loose imaging as you move “off axis”. The tweeter has a very uniform dispersion pattern and you seem to get a good sound from almost anywhere in the room. You would be surprised to find what other speaker companies are sourcing the Elac tweeter.

As for tips on setup, if you don’t have them already Elac make some plugs for the bass reflex port, get some and try them out. You can get either foam plugs to dampen the port or a rubber stopper to seal the port entirely.

I have had a long time preference for sealed enclosure type speakers. After several years I ended up using my 207.2 with their ports “plugged”, using them this way also lets you place the speakers a little closer to the rear wall. The other speakers in my collection are LINN Kans and Yamaha NS1000’s both sealed enclosures and both benefit from the proximity loading of a rear wall. I use the Elacs’ in pretty much the same way.

Hope you like you Elac speakers as well.

LPSpinner

Hi Guys:

Nice to hear that you like the Elac speakers, I have owned a pair of the older floor standing FS207.2 for several years (the earlier 200 series uses the same heil tweeter and bass diver composite construction but the main driver’s aluminium diaphragm is a smooth dish rather than the “crinkle cut” dish). The attributes you describe sit very well the reasons why I purchased mine. There is an air of openness, detail and coherency without sounding forward or strident that makes them very easy to live with.

The main thing I also like about Elac’s heil tweeter is that you don’t loose imaging as you move “off axis”. The tweeter has a very uniform dispersion pattern and you seem to get a good sound from almost anywhere in the room. You would be surprised to find what other speaker companies are sourcing the Elac tweeter.

As for tips on setup, if you don’t have them already Elac make some plugs for the bass reflex port, get some and try them out. You can get either foam plugs to dampen the port or a rubber stopper to seal the port entirely.

I have had a long time preference for sealed enclosure type speakers. After several years I ended up using my 207.2 with their ports “plugged”, using them this way also lets you place the speakers a little closer to the rear wall. The other speakers in my collection are LINN Kans and Yamaha NS1000’s both sealed enclosures and both benefit from the proximity loading of a rear wall. I use the Elacs’ in pretty much the same way.

Hope you like you Elac speakers as well.

LPSpinner

Pretty much where I've been and where I'm coming from. It is that tweeter and that air and openness that sets them apart.

They also don't play favourites, seems to me whatever I play sounds very good.

advertisement

Back