advertisement

Sideways Uni-Pivot Arm, SUPATRAC Blackbird, formerly "Ekos Killer (Price?)"

Looks nice but, with just one screw, don't you think it will come loose?

It shouldn't do if it is reasonably tight. Perhaps a little thread-lock would help. I had considered a spur on the underside to limit its rotation. I'll think further on this - thanks for the suggestion.

It shouldn't do if it is reasonably tight. Perhaps a little thread-lock would help.

I'd drill another hole and fix it with two bolts.

I like the style of it. It looks like it will be good to hold but the shape fits in well with the aesthetic of the rest of the arm. Nice.

I'd drill another hole and fix it with two bolts.

I'll have to think about this. The default configuration is the more ergonomic string lift, and your suggestion would leave an empty hole. I'm not sure that I want the secondary function to spoil the aesthetics of the primary. I'll have a think.

As you say sonddek a little thread lock and the problem is not a problem. It's not like anyone is going to be shoving it back and forth. One hole is perfectly adequate for the use case.

Serial number 2 is now in use, and this is the recipient's assessment:
Of the former, similarly excellent results. On my first pressing of Pentangle’s debut — a disc I have listened to a million times — I have NEVER heard Jacqui's vocals sound so clean and present. A truly moving, spine-tingling experience.

Dave Holland’s Conference of Birds is brilliant, wide, clear, with superb textures on bowed instruments, an absolute audio thrill. Low’s C’mon sounds bigger and more dramatic than ever.

I’ve noticed that my system is also sounding better at all volume levels — I don’t feel like I need to get it as loud to get into the “thrill zone.” But this is probably just another way of saying “it sounds better".

Even with much experimentation to come, I can say with total confidence that my system has clearly never sounded better. This is a stunning arm!

His deck is a Sondek and he normally uses a Tiger Paw Javelin.

Be interesting to see where this goes. It’s simple elegant design would be cheap to produce.

clearly the implementation requires refinement, and it will be interesting to see whether SUPAtrack continues development and ramps up production, or will someone else with existing facilities step in.

And will they pony up for the privilege.

I’ll certainly look forward to hearing one .

Sonddek - any pricing information available? Feel free to contact me directly.

Yes - the first ten are offered at £750 to encourage early adopters to take the plunge, thereafter £1500. In the long run the £1500 price may drift one way or the other depending on many factors, including, for example, demand and the extent to which I can improve efficiency/cost of production.

I put a lot of hard work into development and it still takes a lot of skilled work to manufacture so I'm looking forward to reaching the luxury of minimum wage! 3D printing has already made a huge contribution, for example in the ease of producing manufacturing jigs, and improvements in 3D printing technology will have unforeseen consequences, so I'm hoping that continues to help the convergence of affordability for you and profitability for me.

I enjoyed that review, not so much for his findings (which do seem wholly positive) but to better understand how the arm works. There is still something too 'hairshirt' in its appearance for me right now, but I look forward to seeing how this develops.

Congrats on the arm. Will be interesting to see how it performs in a more revealing system than Adams.

I think relative differences are going to remain whatever the system.

Realistically, why would this arm not sound good? Although it is a novel design, it shares enough commonality with existing good sounding arms to virtually guarantee it's going to work. It's pretty clever if you ask me.

advertisement

Back