advertisement

Einstürzende Neubauten

Markus S

41 - 29
Believe it or not, I heard my first ever Einstürzende Neubauten on Friday night. It was from their Perpetuum Mobile album. I quite liked it.

Some guidance please: where do I start?

[cracks fingers]... oh boy this is going to take some time...

Frankly after seeing them live at *that* ICA gig everything they ever committed to tape has been a let-down. But thats what we have so rather than write an epic here's three LP titles (from different developments of the band) -- there's so much to choose from.

Strategein Gegen Architekturen Vols 1-III (I & II are the essential ones) -- a wide selection of what Einstürzende Neubauten are best known for. Contains selections from older LPs and their very best IMO -- Haus Der Luge (and no, I'm not recommending it just because of the cover), this is 'classic' Einsturzende Neubauten and largely regarded by fans as a specially creative time for the band. Silence is sexy (have to thank SSB for playing that to me).

Have fun.

I'd start with Haus der Lüge, which is the best EN album I've heard so far. Personally, I think that Blixa Bargeld takes himself a bit too seriously.

Best,
Oliver

I know what you mean, Oliver. Reading SPEX in the 80s was what put me off listening to EN. He comes across as a would-be deep thinker for whom 'pompous' is SOP.

But I still liked the EN track I nheard, so I'm willing to approch them with an open mind. I guess I'll start with Haus der Lüge and maybe look at other stuff later. Thanks, guys

It turns out I actually own a Neubauten album (no recollection of ever buying it, but there you go), Fünf auf der nach oben offenen Richterskala. The very last track, Kein Bestandteil sein, is my favourite, nicely weird/menacing/comforting.

I used to play Ich bin's over and over on my Phonosphie tuned Marantz/Creek/Epos setup back then. Ah, happy days.

coredump said:
I used to play Ich bin's over and over on my Phonosphie tuned Marantz/Creek/Epos setup back then. Ah, happy days.

Yeah, I'm sure! Playing over and over... happy days? :D
I didn't have such a fancy setup to listen to it back then... actually.. I don't really remember much from those days... But I did have a t-shirt with that little dude on it somewhere. And Skinny Puppy - Perpetual Intercourse was also getting a lot of play in those days.

OzarkVe,

I didn't own any 'audiophile' recordings back then, and the EN records always came closest to such a thing. It was very interesting to hear what the system could do with a properly recorded piece of music. Another 'show off' record of those days for me was Grace Jones' (Trevor Horn's?) Slave to the Rhythm.
Of course, I agree that a musical diet consisting mainly of EN records, could produce some unwanted side effects. :)

Hi Markus,

Try "Ende Neu", I like that one. There is a nice duet with Meret Becker on it.

Samuel.

Just listened to it yesterday, the duet with miss becker is called "stella maris". Nice track.

Samuel.

Ah "The Neu" - missed them at a gig last year after buying a ticket - something cropped up. One of the very first bands I got into ... almost a quarter century ago now after I saw them on "The Tube". I can feel the tears of nostalgia welling up...

Catch Blixa's mean basslines with the Bad Seeds as well.

Alexeander Hacke (EN member) has just made a film about the turkish music scene called "crossing the bridge" - highly recommended for Baba Zula (great gig at the islington academy last weekend), as well as armenian and gypsy music and plenty of other bits and pieces.

advertisement

Back