advertisement

Edward Snowden

Tony L

Administrator
He's on the move to Moscow by the looks of it. Safe havens for whistleblowers is becoming a real issue these days! I'm all for them I have to admit - the information Snowden leaked is of great interest. I very much like to know what those public servants who are spending our tax money are actually doing with it...

Give me your tired, your poor.
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free

We will also accept:-

French tax exiles.
Those who annoyed the US.
Those who don't annoy us.
Those who think like us.

I fear it will take more than this to wipe that slate clean.

He doesn't have a slate to wipe clean, what he did was in the public interest and should be supported and protected for his courage.

This guy has essentially given up his freedom now he will hunted by the US for the ret of his life. I suspect that given he probably did this out of love for his country he will sometime return home and face the charges because he misses it too much.

He doesn't have a slate to wipe clean, what he did was in the public interest and should be supported and protected for his courage.

This guy has essentially given up his freedom now he will hunted by the US for the ret of his life. I suspect that given he probably did this out of love for his country he will sometime return home and face the charges because he misses it too much.

Was referring to Russia's acts of kindness and IMHO they do have a slate to clean.

Ah ok, my mistake your fault :D

If I was him I wouldn't go near Russia, they'll try and bleed him of any info and it would be too much of a political two fingers at the US.

Whistleblowing about the NSA and then seeking refuge in China or Russia does seem a touch ironic, though. Iceland would have been preferable I think.

I wish the guy the best of luck, though. It's clear he made a very brave move to follow his conscience, so I hope he doesn't end up like Bradley Manning.

How much would you like to bet that something dirty and disturbing is 'unearthed' about him real soon?

Has anyone heard any more about Rand Paul's attempt to bring a class action suit against the NSA? There was a bit about it in the immediate aftermath of the revelations and something about him having recruited a number of tea party Reps and some civil liberty minded Dems a few days later.

I doubt it's very likely, but a Supreme Court ruling that warrantless intercepts were unconstitutional would be very welcome. 'The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.' Seems pretty unequivocal to me.

It would also clear the way for Snowdon to return to the US, I can't see how any charges could stick in such circumstances, as I understand it the duty to uphold the constitution supersedes any other laws.

They are sending Jason Bourne to take him out........................................

On a serious note he is on the way to Venezuela or Iceland - so its said

Tony L said:
:...... the information Snowden leaked is of great interest.
I very much like to know what those public servants who are spending our
tax money are actually doing with it...

Very simply this: They're putting systems in place which ensure that the
continuing growth of the 'State' machine continues without let or hindrance.

Correct. Absolute control is desired, but 'the state' can't really come out and say that. So first the problem is created (see: Neathergate, etc.), to which the 'sensible and proportionate answer' is what they wanted to do in the first place; ie, watching people. Problem-reaction-solution, as usual.

I see it slightly differently. I don't think the growth of the state is the goal. I think the state is being used as a proxy to control the proles for the corporations.

Failed ideological wars and occupations, a declining economy and world influence- only easy prey left are your own internal dissenters and public. It always ends up this way. J.Edgar would be so proud...

Here at home, delivering the wrong message at the wrong time, Chancellor Georgie says he's not cutting defence, he's investing in "cyber."

I see it slightly differently. I don't think the growth of the state is the goal. I think the state is being used as a proxy to control the proles for the corporations.

Agreed, the notion of 'the state' being in concept our taxation taken to provide much needed public services and infrastructure is sadly long gone.

advertisement

Back