Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Colston: Bristol slave trader statue 'was an affront'

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ks.234, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Just scanned the rabid stuff there but yes, the mistake was triangulating and trying to use clever parliamentary manoeuvring: they should just have accepted the result of the referendum and voted through May's deal.

Just looking at the tentative support you're offering Starmer, and contrasting it with the rabid stuff about Corbyn. It's interesting what kind of triangulation people will put up with. Membership of a trading block? A point of principle! This shall no pass! Racism, support for unions? Let's give him the benefit of the doubt here! Got to admire the competence!

gavreid likes this.
  2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Labour had been bleeding support for a long period of time, the success (relatively speaking) of 2017 just amplified the 2019 result but it fits very well with the historic pattern. The failure to honour the 2017 manifesto pledge over Brexit was just the focus - many of those people abstained rather than voting Tory, and are not racists by the way. Labour is and has been failing to represent its core support, 5000+ local councillors lost since 1999, the majority in the scottish parliament in 2007 etc. Starmer is going back to the same failed philosophy of appealing to the suits...

The Sun Also Rises-

“How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked.

“Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually and then suddenly.”

“What brought it on?”

“Friends,” said Mike. “I had a lot of friends. False friends...”

3. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

And you call me rabid?
    Fact is, for three years here people called it like it was, and it came to pass.

4. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I do, you and Tony. You should just keep the caps lock on.

5. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

OK;)

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

LOL.

(See, caps lock!).

7. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

You said Labour would lose its Leavers to the Tories and the consequence would be a no deal Brexit, so best just to put up with May's deal and win whatever concessions we could down the line? Fair play, but that is not how I remember it.

Anyway, we're OT OT. No more from me on HARD REMAIN FANATICISM.

:)

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It certainly should, it and the man are part of Bristol's history. Not all of it it glorious, not all of it is stuff of which you are proud.

You got this bit right.

The statue should not have been on display in the streets in modern times. It should not have been torn down by a mob, however justified their cause. 2 wrongs don't make a right. By tearing it down they handed a huge trump card (or even Trump card) to the Bullingdon scum who are now free to drone on about it being criminal damage to a monument and this being the true aim of the demonstrators. By leaving it standing but pointing it out as a CURRENT example of the tolerance of racism in this country the anti racist demonstrators missed a trick. A huge trick.

docstocker likes this.
  9. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

A huge trick that didn't work for 30 years. They took action and it's not going to stop, and every single word out of every Tory mouth, and more than a few Labour mouths, now stands as a current example of the tolerance of racism in this country.

Hopefully an era-defining event.

ff1d1l likes this.
  10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No, utterly coherent. The Labour Party has just been handed its arse on a plate because the leader didn't succeed in convincing the public that his message was right. He failed, abjectly, in the face of a buffoon like Boris. The message is not right, the means of delivering it is not right, or the LP would have got more votes. He did this on the back of however many years of failing to get the message across. He failed utterly WRT antisemitism. He failed utterly with the Brexit message. We all know that one definition of insanity is to carry on doing the same thing expecting a different result. Carry on then, because "we won the argument". Oh yes, that's what's important. Not running the country, not making it and the world a better place, but winning the argument.

docstocker likes this.
  11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

We are not off topic as what Corbyn apologists term “HARD REMAIN FANATICISM” (note caps) is actually anti-fascism/anti-racism/anti-imperialism. It is standing firm against Edward Colston fans such Farage, Yaxley Lennon, Hopkins and the rest of them. It is the exact topic of this thread.

ff1d1l likes this.
  12. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

BALLS!

13. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Spot-on.
    For non-Bristolians reading - here, for example, on display the attitudes of one local councillor:
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/edward-colston-a-hero-bristol-4205516

calorgas, ks.234 and gavreid like this.
  14. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

twotone likes this.
  15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

16. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

People in Bristol of all colours and creeds have been trying to remove the statue from the central area for a long , long time ! Every few years petitions etc with plenty of support have been raised but the council has always resisted . Bristolians generally wanted it in a museum to highlight the horrors of slavery on which Bristol was built feeling it has historic significance in how things should not be done .I am disappointed in the way it was torn down because it should have been moved years ago and no longer an issue .

17. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

As Tony just posted above , this is why we could not get the statue moved or even the plaque changed over the years

18. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

19. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

I understand you want the party have have a “soul” which to a large extent it lost under Blair and continued with the likes of the change U.K. supporters but the party also needs a “brain” which Corbyn and his supporters showed no signs of having, it was just road crash after road crash.

20. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member