advertisement

Educate me about cello pieces and recordings

Only since hearing Sheku Kanneh Mason have I been drawn anywhere near cello music. To be honest, orchestral strings aren't really my thing. I have a particular dislike for violins. That said, I was spellbound by Sheku's cello royal wedding performance .

I've since listened to bits of his no.1 classical album on YouTube but those pieces don't grab me.

Can someone point me to some cello pieces to listen to , and great performances and recordings of said pieces? My first challenge will be finding pieces I like - then which recordings are excellent (vinyl, CD or SACD)

Thanks
This is amazing-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001XT8O14/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Maybe not your thing and not what you're looking for, but the first Crooked Still album, "Hop High" has astonishing cello on it.

I really appreciate all the views here - and suggestions.

@monstrous lie - I am a relative novice when it comes to classical. My knowledge and experience has been largely well known/often played pieces of various types . Despite my dislike for strings (I'm also not much of a fan of solo piano) my favourite classical piece is Concierto d'Aranjuez by Rodrigo. I've dabbled a bit with choral (which I've quite enjoyed) and my favourite instrument is the organ. Make of all that what you will!

I'll listen to a few of the suggestions here but will try a Du Pre version of Elgar as the CDs are cheap to try out

Thanks again everyone

I am no classical connoisseur, but I love Bach's cello suites and have two sets - one by Rostroprovich and one by Truls Mork.

I prefer the Truls Mork, it's a little less intense, I suspect because it's less close miked and you can here the room a bit more and less of the mechanical noise of playing.

advertisement

Back