advertisement

Edinburgh & Glasgow Record shops

dss

Musical Bons
I will be touring a few of the Scottish record shops in the main cities is it.

Whilst in Edinburgh can anyone advise on the merit of visiting

Elvis Shakespear
Loud'n'Clear
Record Shak

And in Glasgow

Missing Crossroads
Record Market

for non-Dad Rock music?

I will be going to Underground Soluhns, Rub-a-Dub, Monorail, Volcanic Tongue and that.

DS

I will be touring a few of the Scottish record shops in the main cities is it.

/Whilst in Edinburgh can anyone advise on the merit of visiting

Elvis Shakespear
Loud'n'Clear
Record Shak

DS

Loud n Clear is a hi-fi shop full of opinionated Naim fanny boys. Record Shak is full of old vinyl round the corner from my Aunt Tessy.

Head toward Prince's Street from the RS and there are lots of charity shops with an assortment of LPs should the fancy take you.

You could of course just get Spotyfi and see the sights instead eg the Royal Mile and frequent a few public houses of ill repute.

If you're in Glasgow on a Saturday let me know.

Gassor, thanks is it.

Avoided Loud'n'Clear, had a good result in Underground Soluhs'ns ( 2 bags full) and was very pleasantly surprised in Elvis Shakespear, with a lot of beat, some German and a bit of post-rock and post-punk ( 2 bags full)

Also managed to avoid a car incident with a pushy BMW driver trying to co-exist in the same space on my queue in Edinburgh city centre.

So not bad so far, Glasgow tomorrow.

Most likely Southampton on Saturday, so won't be up on The. Scotland then, thanks for the offer.

Dave,

That link is useful, and pretty much accords with my findings is it.

There are a few left untried for further visits to the Sister Cities, and Gassor's Aunty Tess home made cakes.

DS

No idea what it's called but there's a great record store in Otago Lane, Glasgow if you're going down there you must visit the madest 2nd hand bookshop next door it's like Black Books but rammed to the roof with more books than can possibly be safe.

That Mixed-Up sounds worth try is it.

Rub-a-Dub has changed a bit, much more music gear and less records, but they still had a fine selection on Min. Tech that met my needs Silent Servant and Black Rain wise. They even have analog sequencers festooned with knobs and other cool gear.

Missing was good too, with a surprise Rhys Chatham trumpet piece record never seen before there.

Managed to avoid being run over by a bloke in a BMW going the wrong way out of a car park entrance, something of a trend for me here

DS

Are you seeking Ethel Merman and Engelbert pressings?

Have they done any Drum'n'bass or cold wave remixes is it? Probably not, so I think I leave those for others there.

I did find DJ Qu - Organisms yesterday, so that was good.

DS

So, Mixed-Up had a lot of records, but I was put off my riffling stride by an album in the front of one of the bins, being 'The Conservatives' speeches by the leaders up to The Baby Milk Snatcher is it. Not my sort of thing there. Left empty hearted.

Much better in Volcanic Tongue, with records, 5" and 3" CDs and cassette tapes being acquired there. No Tory party records, not even in Spoken Word Avant Garde section.

DS

advertisement

Back