advertisement

ED 209...

Darmok

pfm Member
3000.jpg

San Francisco police propose using robots capable of ‘deadly force’

City’s board of supervisors to consider proposal involving remote-controlled devices

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-propose-using-robots-capable-of-deadly-force

RoboCop: Director's Cut | REMASTERED - ED-209 Malfunction Scene (1080p

Way to go US of A

I thought there was an international law against weaponised A.I. ? Maybe these things are only remotely controlled, rather than autonomous. Deeply creepy.

What the **** are these guys on!?

The SFPD proposal would allow these robots to kill people “when risk of loss of life to members of the public or officers is imminent and outweighs any other force option available to SFPD”.

Utterly dystopian.
There's a pretty-straight line between this, and the 1990 Judge Dredd requirement to .. 'eat recycled food'.

If it can save a policeman's life, why not? They are already used everywhere to deal with bombs.

If it can save a policeman's life, why not? They are already used everywhere to deal with bombs.
Because it’s utterly dehumanising for the operator. Plenty written about the negative mental health effects on drone operators.

And how does a remote operator assess the scene so as to decide deadly force is the only option?

This is no different to someone 'on the ground', they are trained to make those decisions and are supported by clear rules of engagement.

The issue with UAV operators is more about excessive 'flight' hours and working conditions. Pilots of manned aircraft have fewer issues as their hours are under stricter control.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8611566/

As long as it’s all kept in the States, I can’t see an issue. Over 600 mass shootings this year so far, and over 40,000 gun deaths. They don’t care, why should we?

As long as it’s all kept in the States, I can’t see an issue. Over 600 mass shootings this year so far, and over 40,000 gun deaths. They don’t care, why should we?
I must admit I lean this way WRT gun control in America. The solution is straighforward. If they choose not to adopt it, that's up to them. It's like wearing a coat in the rain. It's the obvious solution, but if you elect to walk round in your shirt then don't be wailing and gnashing your teeth when you get wet.

Because a bomb disposal robot deals with bombs and not living people. If a robot blows up my car because it wrongly thinks it's a bomb, i need a new car. If Robocop shoots my mother as she is engaging in hand to hand combat over the last lamb chops at the butchery counter, it's a bit harder finding another mother.

And how does a remote operator assess the scene so as to decide deadly force is the only option?
I don't think any of us have direct competence on this subject, but one could suppose that an officer who not in immediate danger of being killed or maimed in a split-second context might make cooler and reasonable decisions.

advertisement

Back