advertisement

Eclipse TD510Z MK2 speakers

herb

brain's right hemisphere
Has anyone heard any Eclipse speakers? HFC has a gushing review of an Accuphase E-480 amp driving Eclipse TD 510Z single driver speakers. Having lived with ESL57s for 14 years I am intrigued. There seems to be only 2 dealers in the UK, one in Dundee.

I love Eclipse (have a pair of the original 508s which are smaller and not really designed to use as a main speaker) and I love Accuphase (I have the E480 myself) but I've not heard the combination you describe, alas. I can well imagine, though, that in the right setting it could be stunning. The Eclipse doesn't go very loud, and doesn't really do scale, and the top and bottom octaves are rolled off, so it's not what you'd call a full-range transducer. Some people can't/don't get past that, but if you can and do, you may realise that actually, wide bandwidth FR isn't what really matters. So it's broadly better in smaller rooms or nearfield situations, but it has an immediacy and coherence, and an uncanny way with imaging that surely plays to the Accuphase' strengths.

I've heard a pair, the ones about the size and shape of a big rugby ball with dedicated stands, sounded amazing.

The owner is a PFM member.

The larger ones were on sale on The Wam around Christmas time, think the seller was looking for about £3k or thereabouts.

They regularly come up for sale on eBay.

I love Eclipse (have a pair of the original 508s which are smaller and not really designed to use as a main speaker) and I love Accuphase (I have the E480 myself) but I've not heard the combination you describe, alas. I can well imagine, though, that in the right setting it could be stunning. The Eclipse doesn't go very loud, and doesn't really do scale, and the top and bottom octaves are rolled off, so it's not what you'd call a full-range transducer. Some people can't/don't get past that, but if you can and do, you may realise that actually, wide bandwidth FR isn't what really matters. So it's broadly better in smaller rooms or nearfield situations, but it has an immediacy and coherence, and an uncanny way with imaging that surely plays to the Accuphase' strengths.

Thanks Sue, you have confirmed my thoughts. In the past I had terrible problems with polarity/absolute phase having to mark CDs O or I. My ATC amp does not offer a simple swap option, though I guess the Accuphase does?

I've heard a pair, the ones about the size and shape of a big rugby ball with dedicated stands, sounded amazing.

The owner is a PFM member.

The larger ones were on sale on The Wam around Christmas time, think the seller was looking for about £3k or thereabouts.

They regularly come up for sale on eBay.

Thanks for that, very interesting. I shall look out for second hand items, though new they may still be interesting. I have a small room and mainly listen at low level to classical music.

Thanks for that, very interesting. I shall look out for second hand items, though new they may still be interesting. I have a small room and mainly listen at low level to classical music.

Looked stunning too BTW, they were placed in, almost, the middle of the room so you were kinda sitting inside the music so to speak, I thought that they sound absolutely fantastic.

Think it was the 510Zs, definitely wasn't the smaller speakers or the massive ones.

The ones on The Wam had been stored for about ten years, I think, can't recall if they sold though they also looked amazing.

Might have been Christmas 2019 they were for sale.

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/to...12zmk2-speakers/?tab=comments#comment-2615230

https://www.eclipse-td.com/products/td510zmk2/index.html

Looked stunning too BTW, they were placed in, almost, the middle of the room so you were kinda sitting inside the music so to speak, I thought that they sound absolutely fantastic.

Think it was the 510Zs, definitely wasn't the smaller speakers or the massive ones.

The ones on The Wam had been stored for about ten years, I think, can't recall if they sold though they also looked amazing.

Might have been Christmas 2019 they were for sale.

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/to...12zmk2-speakers/?tab=comments#comment-2615230

https://www.eclipse-td.com/products/td510zmk2/index.html

Thanks the Wam ones were sold unfortunately. Ebay has the ones without the stands new quoted for single speakers. I'll have a think, thanks for your leads:)

Thanks the Wam ones were sold unfortunately. Ebay has the ones without the stands new quoted for single speakers. I'll have a think, thanks for your leads:)

Personally I'd stick a wanted advert up on both the Wam and on here, you never know what might turn up, the ones I heard were piano black with dedicated stands.

I bought the guy's Elac BS 312s with dedicated Elac stands which are fantastic small speakers.

Thanks Sue, you have confirmed my thoughts. In the past I had terrible problems with polarity/absolute phase having to mark CDs O or I. My ATC amp does not offer a simple swap option, though I guess the Accuphase does?
I'm pretty sure that, yes, the Accuphase does have a phase-invert switch (though I haven't used it). I'm not acutely sensitive to absolute phase inasmuch as it rarely bugs me, but I perceive it if somebody else points it out, or if I'm messing about with the absolute phase setting. If it's one of those things that really gets to you, then I think the Eclipse is a must-listen. The coherence of a no-crossover design is really quite special, and the Eclipse time-domain stuff really seems to work. If you're listening at moderate levels, in a relatively small space, then even large orchestral should be fine. If you want to recreate the scale and heft of large orchestral forces, you might need to look elsewhere though.

Thanks. My experience of minimalistic crossovers in the past showed up polarity problems more than usual. Though the CDX2 seems to have 'cured' the problem, so no more switching the speaker connections! I put it down to the DAC which is more complex than the one in my CD3.

The idea of the removal of a speaker wooden box is attractive. I have an old very heavy Meridian F80 Ferrari plastic arch thing, which despite having small speakers will fill a room easily. I must dust it down and experiment with it in my dedicated music room. It should be interesting playing some orchestral climaxes on CDs and comparing them to my Harbeth C7s.

Thanks. My experience of minimalistic crossovers in the past showed up polarity problems more than usual. Though the CDX2 seems to have 'cured' the problem, so no more switching the speaker connections! I put it down to the DAC which is more complex than the one in my CD3.

The idea of the removal of a speaker wooden box is attractive. I have an old very heavy Meridian F80 Ferrari plastic arch thing, which despite having small speakers will fill a room easily. I must dust it down and experiment with it in my dedicated music room. It should be interesting playing some orchestral climaxes on CDs and comparing them to my Harbeth C7s.
I remember the Meridian F1 at a show the year it launched. The Meridian room had a system set up with a pair of their big DSP speakers, and a little F1 in a display plinth next to it. We were all sitting down, in quite a big dem room, music playing, all very jolly, and the sales guy strode up and switched off the F1. Everybody had assumed it was the big floorstanders. Much hilarity ensured!

I have owned 57's (various), pretty much every Harbeth and TD 712's. TD's are hard to drive. The Accu would work well imho, as does Esoteric and various SS incl hybrids - eg Pathos. I never found tubes to partner well, but I understand the Japanese do so in smaller listening rooms. The TD's are very similar to 57's, but with bass & harder to partner well.

The integrated stand is beautifully engineered, as indeed is the whole speaker.

I imagine the TD510's would be equally fussy, but can not say.

Trust this assists.

advertisement

Back