advertisement

eBay stress

Andrew L Weekes

Reverse Engineer
I've had an eBay account for years and used to sell stuff regularly but stopped as it just became to much aggro to comply with eBay's fixed delivery times and restrictions.

Anyway, thought I'd help my son out selling some computer bits after he'd upgraded.

Owing to my own ignorance and lack of attention to detail I used the print postage option in eBay, but forgot to enter the item weights, so had to void and reprint them all again.

The buyer of his CPU msessaged to say he'd got the wrong address in his account. I got nervous, the buyer has had an account for 2 years but has no feedback. I asked buyer to update address details, but that doesn't change the details on the transaction.

I can edit the postal address, but then had concerns about not being protected as a seller, eBay recommends cancelling the transaction, but I found I couldn't do that, as printing the postal labels in eBay marks the item as dispatched.

Now I know why I started using Gumtree...

Anyway, the main purpose of this is that after half an hour on the phone to a VERY helpful and patient eBay representative, who couldn't work out how to cancel the transaction either, someone from their shipping department directed me to the eBay 'Classic View' rather than the newer 'Selling Overview' format, where there are a lot more drop-down options, including one to cancel and refund.

I need a drink now. Hope it helps someone out in the future.

Andy.

I've found that calling Ebay is sometimes the best way - glad it's all sorted out for you.

I have to say I really cannot fault them, friendly and helpful, and up for a bit of a natter whilst waiting and available until quite late in the evening. Going to make sure I find a way to offer feedback.

So next question, what would you do next?

The item is re-listed, I'm not in any hurry, so would happily let it run another 10 days (although that means it ends at an inconvenient time to get it posted), but I could add a make me an offer option that the buyer could use once they have their refund.

Just not sure I want to! To be fair to the buyer, they've been good on the comm's and I don't sense anything especially suspicious, more bumbling inexperience and let's face it, I've messed up on the postage originally. He's messaged to apologise for the inconvenience and accepted it's entirely his error. Until the AI takes over, we're human and that means we err...

I'd still rather offer the item to the next buyer down who had tons of good feedback, and accept a couple of quid less, but then everyone has to start somewhere with building an eBay feedback reputation.

Hmm...

Sounds dodgy to me. 2 major red flags are the 0 feedback and wanting the item sent to a different address. Could be innocent but I'd be very cautious.

If the same buyer wants to repurchase, just make sure you send the item only to the address listed on PayPal, otherwise you will not get any seller protection if it does turn out to be a scam.

advertisement

Back