advertisement

Ebay refunds

Darren L

Egalitarian
Did you know that if a buyer changes their mind and asked for a refund after payment that you are supposed to make the full refund?
Seemingly ebay no longer issue a refund to the buyer, instead expecting the seller to cover the full amount and then ebay gives the seller a credit note.
If you didn't you do now, what a palava

Did you know that if a buyer changes their mind and asked for a refund after payment that you are supposed to make the full refund?
Seemingly ebay no longer issue a refund to the buyer, instead expecting the seller to cover the full amount and then ebay gives the seller a credit note.
If you didn't you do now, what a palava
A credit note that can only be spent on eBay?

Don't quite follow that.

Pretty simple really, if I bought an item from you through eBay at £395 inc P&P you would net £383.24 in your PayPal account. Then if I decided ten minutes later that I didn't want the item and asked for a refund you (providing you agreed) would then issue the full refund of £395. eBay then refund you the difference of £11.76 as a credit note.
Now imagine the item bought is a few grand and the seller has no other existing funds.

I've just cancelled everything I was selling on Ebay because of the Paypal/banking changes. I'll see how it pans out and probably open another bank account exclusively for Ebay sometime in the future. Ebay is not going to have my main bank details. Greed is a funny thing but I don't understand why Ebay would potentially destroy a successful business by these changes. It makes life too hard to bother with for small personal sellers just moving stuff on.

I've just cancelled everything I was selling on Ebay because of the Paypal/banking changes. I'll see how it pans out and probably open another bank account exclusively for Ebay sometime in the future. Ebay is not going to have my main bank details. Greed is a funny thing but I don't understand why Ebay would potentially destroy a successful business by these changes. It makes life too hard to bother with for small personal sellers just moving stuff on.

Exactly what I've done.

I already bank with Monzo for personal and business. Realised I had an old, but still live basic account with Santander, so Ebay now pays into that.

Makes life easier for me to keep them separate

That is a very good idea. I think I have a 'dormant' current account with A.N. Other bank plc, I'll have to see if it still works.

ebay no longer use PayPal , payments now go into your bank account

Not yet, but yes, as of the 31st of May eBay will no longer use PayPal.

The above scenario happened this morning, so PayPal is still in use at this time.

I will not be giving them my bank details, it looks like my days of using eBay as a seller are numbered, oh well.

Not yet, but yes, as of the 31st of May eBay will no longer use PayPal.

The above scenario happened this morning, so PayPal is still in use at this time.

I will not be giving them my bank details, it looks like my days of using eBay as a seller are numbered, oh well.
But PayPal have your bank details, yes? And PayPal was originally owned by eBay?

Err. Yes. Paypal could initiate a refund directly out of your bank account if you didn't have the funds for a refund in your Paypal account.

Nothing much has changed. In fact I'd say it's been a change for the better. Just registered for the new direct Ebay payment system last week and had an 80% off FVFee offer last Friday..

Sold £700 worth of stuff over the weekend and paid 2.7% overall in fees.

Well happy here. What's not to like?

I’ve just discovered that Facebook is far better for selling items locally that aren’t suitable for posting. Even better, they turn up and put cash in your hand and that’s that. You still get idiots and time wasters of course, but they can’t wreck your sale by deciding they don’t want it anymore.

I’ve just discovered that Facebook is far better for selling items locally that aren’t suitable for posting. Even better, they turn up and put cash in your hand and that’s that. You still get idiots and time wasters of course, but they can’t wreck your sale by deciding they don’t want it anymore.

The very few times I tried to use FB Marketplace to sell items was painful; I used my '****Off' button more on there in a few weeks than I did on eBay in about a year :D

This was hifi, Apple and a few gadgets etc. No cheap crap; but all the sales attracted was illiterate knobsocks, who couldn't afford the item, so thought they'd low-ball instead to see if I was desperate (even though the listing advised against that for the good of their health)...

Never again!

eBay works and works well IMO; I've just sold my 27" iMac on there, £50 offer under my asking price, accepted, payment made, it cleared into my account in 2 days, iMac collected. ZERO issues and because I took advantage of the 80% off the final fee offer; I only lost out of pocket by £25! That'll do me

For me, that's when to take advantage of eBay; when they have selling offers on and their direct payment scheme now is so much more transparent and easier to use/understand

Don't do Facebook. Or Gumtree. Tried both. Full of chancers wanting a cheaper than cheap deal.

Nowt wrong with Ebay if you know how to use it. I've been on there 20 years. Only ever had 2 things go wrong. Wish I could stop selling things to people in London.

It's always bloody London with couriered stuff.

Err. Yes. Paypal could initiate a refund directly out of your bank account if you didn't have the funds for a refund in your Paypal account.
No they couldn't. They could only take it out of your PayPal account.
I speak from experience here with a scammer who sent my item back damaged and got a full refund. I lost not a single penny.

advertisement

Back