advertisement

Ebay managed payments

RoA

pfm Member
Ebay has 'converted' me from PayPal managed payments (instant and no issues) to Ebay managed ones ... slow ... some time ago.

I am a trusted seller and never had any issues with PayPal handling this. Now it takes (according to ebay) 2 working days for them to process any monies received then an additional '0 to 4' days for my bank to process this.

Firstly, why do Ebay stipulate 'working days'?
Surely they can action this immediately (as paypal) and why would it take up to 4 days for a bank to process this?

I can transfer money from one bank (or paypal) account to someone else's almost immediately, perhaps a few seconds.

Why are Ebay so slow?

Are they earning on monies held? (They say they don't but I find that difficult to believe).

I have to say I am far from happy with their service.

They also seemingly charge similar as I paid when PayPal was involved ... now without the middleman.

I hate eBay!

Great place to buy stuff but as a seller things are so stacked against you one has to wonder if they actually want more sellers. Personally, I think they know that they have such strong monopoly that they can do what they like and people will still sell there. Realistically, what choice is there?

On this issue, I suspect they are finding a way to feed money through an interest earning account. They're effectively going to have millions earning interest at all times just from delaying your payment for a few days. Maybe I'm wrong but I bet that's what they're doing.

I am the same forced to move to this the fees are higher I find and took over a week from end of item to me getting paid. Now have to send any items before you received payment it's a joke. Had someone request a return (still waiting) they informed me any further payment to this amount will be arrested until case closed.

Ebay has 'converted' me from PayPal managed payments (instant and no issues) to Ebay managed ones ... slow ... some time ago.

I am a trusted seller and never had any issues with PayPal handling this. Now it takes (according to ebay) 2 working days for them to process any monies received then an additional '0 to 4' days for my bank to process this.

Firstly, why do Ebay stipulate 'working days'?
Surely they can action this immediately (as paypal) and why would it take up to 4 days for a bank to process this?

I can transfer money from one bank (or paypal) account to someone else's almost immediately, perhaps a few seconds.

Why are Ebay so slow?

Are they earning on monies held? (They say they don't but I find that difficult to believe).

I have to say I am far from happy with their service.

They also seemingly charge similar as I paid when PayPal was involved ... now without the middleman.

As explained on the previous eBay Managed Payments thread, it was only PayPal that 'covered' the payment in advance, it actually does take a credit card or similar merchant 0-48 hours to actually send the money.

PayPal was unique as it essentially gave you the money in advance. eBay and Ayden, don't.

Your own bank processes the payment. Some are faster than others. My Manaed Payments payouts are credited daily Monday to Friday and arrive in my current balance about 4 hours after the 'Payout' email. Some days, I have to cover, especially on Mondays, £000's worth of postage myself without any payment.

It is a ridiculous process for occasional private sellers, but eBay know there just isn't anyone who will take them on as competition.

I am the same forced to move to this the fees are higher I find and took over a week from end of item to me getting paid. Now have to send any items before you received payment it's a joke. Had someone request a return (still waiting) they informed me any further payment to this amount will be arrested until case closed.

Yes, thats a killer. If they dont return the item and don't close the return it will stay open for 2-3 weeks, with your money in escrow until then. See how bad it is when they ask to cancel before you ship it, and the money is still processing. The cancellation money comes from your account, not the actual payment!

I try not to sell things on eBay. Sometimes you have to but I don't like it. I'll sit something on Gumtree for months rather than sell it quickly on eBay.

Sooner or later someone will manage to come up with a viable alternative. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet but eventually, someone will do it. It's obviously such a lucrative market someone will have a swing at it.

I try not to sell things on eBay. Sometimes you have to but I don't like it. I'll sit something on Gumtree for months rather than sell it quickly on eBay.

Sooner or later someone will manage to come up with a viable alternative. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet but eventually, someone will do it. It's obviously such a lucrative market someone will have a swing at it.

Someone has, EBid, but having a shop on there I havent had a sale in three months compares to say 3000 sales on ebay in that time..and my prices are cheaper on ebid!

Someone has, EBid, but having a shop on there I havent had a sale in three months compares to say 3000 sales on ebay in that time..and my prices are cheaper on ebid!

Yes, I know people are trying but eventually someone will crack it. they'll get the product right, the marketing right and it will catch on. Eventually...

'round 'ere a lot of small stuff that would have gone through to ebay is being put up on Facebook Marketplace. I find it easy and hassle free. Even Gumtree was pretty good.

My daughters (20) are extensive users of some clothes re-selling sites like depop. A niece is selling her ceramics on Etsy.

The thing missing out is Freecycle - I used to put stuff there and it all went - but now it seems you can get money for the same stuff on Marketplace. A bit of cash comes in and gets recycled to pay the cleaner. Other than that I have little use for cash these days. Even parking is easier on an app (once loaded and set up)

Yes, I know people are trying but eventually someone will crack it. they'll get the product right, the marketing right and it will catch on. Eventually...

Hopefully! I see a free selling site 'Vinted' being advertised on TV quite a bit. Over the past 20 years Ebays rule changes had made it increasingly difficult.

It's PayPal that's the killer. Realistically, it's going to be extremely difficult for any competitor to operate effectively without using PayPal so you're back in the box again.

eBay ‘side with the buyer’ logic grew out of the view that there will always be more buyers than sellers, so to side with the buyer, for them, was better financially.

It would be nice to see a new competitor actually have proper resolutions staff who can look at cases properly and for both buyers and sellers to be able to supply proper evidence in case of a dispute. But the cost of that staff, being that it would need to be in country to avoid language issues would be astronomical.

Aliexpress took a different view - they side more often with the Seller, being that the seller is actually their customer.

I imagine that may change now they have Paypal as a payment processor.

eBay basically created a whole generation of ‘get it for free’ scammers who otherwise wouldn't have ever thought about stealing from someone.

Until we see some laws being generated about how these companies are allowed to do business we probably wont ever see a fairer site.

I've never had a dispute on eBid so id been keen for someone who has to chime in on the process.

eBay ‘side the buyer’ logic grew out of the view that there will always be more buyers than sellers, so to side with the buyer, for them, was better financially.

Yes. it's all about money. Their platform is so dominant that they know they can treat sellers however they like and they will still use it. Most of their revenue will be from business sellers with multiple sellers offering the same goods. They don't really care how many sellers there are as long as there are enough who are willing to put up with situation. They only get PayPal and final valuation fees on items sold so having the same item offered by a hundred sellers isn't an advantage to them. In fact it only pushes prices down which reduces their fees.

When it comes to reduced income, Ebay will deal with it very quick, like they remove maximum cap on fees some years ago. I remember it was 40 pounds, and now it is 10% from final value including delivery fees , at least for private seller, very uninteresting for higher value items. Paypal another 4%, so, yes, selling on ebay is expensive.

When it comes to reduced income, Ebay will deal with it very quick, like they remove maximum cap on fees some years ago. I remember it was 40 pounds, and now it is 10% from final value including delivery fees , at least for private seller, very uninteresting for higher value items. Paypal another 4%, so, yes, selling on ebay is expensive.

Yep, very expensive, I recently sold a pair of speakers on ebay, I got what I wanted and the buyer was very happy but the buggers charged £288 for the sale, I think their fees have become extortionate. I've chosen to vote with my feet, I'll buy an item through ebay but I will not be selling anything more with them.

advertisement

Back