advertisement

eBay Issues with camera - anyone else experience?

Robby

pfm Member
I recently ordered a camera from a company on eBay. 100% feedback with thousands of positive reviews.

Got a message over the weekend from them to say that their suppliers haven't sent them the order and so the camera will not be delivered. They want me to open an item not received case through eBay as they won't refund as they have paid for the camera already with their supplier.

I cannot open a case through eBay yet as the estimated date of delivery hasn't passed which seems ridiculous.

The seller is also not answering my messages asking for them to cancel and refund.

Looks like I will have to wait until Wednesday when the camera was to be delivered to start the process off. Looking at their recent feedback it's clear I am not alone with this issue.

Anyone been through this before? Did it take a long time to resolve? (I paid by credit card and not PayPal which I now regret).

Its very strange they want you to do that as that creates whats called a 'defect' on their account under the new seller metrics. Thats suicide on eBay these days as those metrics are brutal.

However, you will get your refund, just open the case once the delivery date has expired and then go through the motions. It may take a further week after that as the seller has time to make representations. You don't have to worry about anything, as for your annoyance with the company, yes, I would be too.

They can just click the 'cancel sale' button on the purchase which will refund automatically, so why they are being t***s about it, I don't know. Maybe they are waiting for the item to come in to ship it to you before the case is escalated to eBay for a refund (around a week after opening), this can be a delaying/stalling tactic by some sellers that work on selling things they don't actually own.

As a secondary though, you are also covered on your credit card under Section 75.

So theres more to worry about crossing the road or Donald Trump than there is in this scenario.

I have now spoken to eBay and they have opened the case against the seller for me.

Apparently they have a week to refund before eBay can force them to do it legally apparently.

With any luck they will do the right thing in the next couple of days.

I have now spoken to eBay and they have opened the case against the seller for me.

Apparently they have a week to refund before eBay can force them to do it legally apparently.

With any luck they will do the right thing in the next couple of days.

Yes, thats what I said.

Nice to see eBay customer services overuling their own policies though by opening cases early. Lol, gotta love the double standards of eBay, but as I said, it will be sorted for you in time.

Ebay routinely bypasses set standards if you have a good case. I recently had a seller who used pictures of a similar item (but not the item for sale) he'd scraped off the net. I found the pictures he used when researching the item with Google images. They were nearly 10 years old. After he didn't provide real pictures in a timely fashion I called ebay, and they asked me what I wanted to do. The rep explained that if I still wanted the item I could wait, and provided it arrived by the latest posted ship date and was satisfactory I could simply keep it. In any other event a return/refund would be no questions asked. Alternatively, they would step in right then based on the phony pictures and initiate the refund process if the seller didn't provide actual pictures within a few days.

Ebay routinely bypasses set standards if you have a good case. .

They routinely bypass them for poor/obvious scam buyer cases as well. Thats the problem, when you loosely act on standards one way, it gets abused the other. I would prefer for their policies to be adhered to , to the letter.

With this particular case I am trying to get my head round why the seller hasn’t just cancelled the order and issued a refund and apology. Looking at their mounting bad feedback on eBay, as has been mentioned before, this is business suicide.

Their message to me was that they have paid their supplier for an item they should have received themselves and yet for reasons I cannot fathom they want to go through the eBay seller protection route. Unless they are suddenly bankrupt and haven’t the funds to refund a buyer. Who in that situation then pays?

With this particular case I am trying to get my head round why the seller hasn’t just cancelled the order and issued a refund and apology. Looking at their mounting bad feedback on eBay, as has been mentioned before, this is business suicide.

Their message to me was that they have paid their supplier for an item they should have received themselves and yet for reasons I cannot fathom they want to go through the eBay seller protection route. Unless they are suddenly bankrupt and haven’t the funds to refund a buyer. Who in that situation then pays?

YEs sounds mental what they are doing. Business sellers on ebay, I for one, have to try everything in my power to balance not getting those cases opened but also not being a target for scammers, which in my area of selling, it is loitered with some crappy people, so I have become accustomed to fighting scam artists and I know every trick in their book.

Still, even if they have no funds, eBay will reimburse you out of their coffers, its part of their Money Back Guarantee.

Also as I said early, as you paid on Credit card, you also have Section 75, so there really is nothing to worry about at all.

@Robby - the exact same thing happened to me (is the seller 'Progadgets' ?) I ordered an A7r III from them and got the same message. I have also opened up a case against them through eBay and have been assured I will get my money back. Annoying but it's my own fault really. The deal seemed too good to be true and it clearly was!

Lefty

@Robby - the exact same thing happened to me (is the seller 'Progadgets' ?) I ordered an A7r III from them and got the same message. I have also opened up a case against them through eBay and have been assured I will get my money back. Annoying but it's my own fault really. The deal seemed too good to be true and it clearly was!

Lefty

It was the very same company. I ordered the A7RII from them - it was a good deal but only about £80 less than the next best seller.

We will both get our money back - I am hoping sooner rather than later. eBay have told me that I cannot escalate it with them until 20th March which is frustrating. There is no sign from the company that they will issue a refund (they have not replied to the several messages I have sent them) and so looks like it will come back through eBay themselves.

Was this Pro gadgets UK, based in Richmond? There are a couple of similar names so be careful.

If it was Pro Gadgets UK, I would recommend them highly. Bought 2 bodies off David and he is a perfect gent. The last one developed an unusual fault whilst on holiday (first ever on a Canon body for me) and he replaced it without hesitation. Also happy to change or refund. He has always been accommodating with after hours collection etc. Highly recommended by me!

The company on eBay are based in Twickenham apparently.

That's the one, I think he has another address in Richmond (possibly home). Been to his office 3 times, by appointment of course.

Personally, more than satisfied with service and price from him and I have zero connection, other than as a very satisfied customer..

Prior to the last few days Progadgets had several thousand positive reriews.

Looking at the latest feedback there is a long list of hacked off customers all with the same complaint with no sign of anything being resolved

There is another seller called Pro Gadgets and a limited company, Pro Gadgets Ltd.

If there is a list of hacked off customers (I haven't checked) then something has clearly gone wrong.

My first experience was in Jan 2018 and the last was on 28th Jan 2019. No sign of a problem then so maybe he has had supply issues?

The only other grey importer that I have tried to deal with is in Surrey and they didn't even return my call (voicemail left) or reply to an email until weeks later!

David's email address and phone number is in his business details on ebay and he answered both to me.

All very strange and certainly not what I would expect from my dealings with him. I would use him again.

If the UK supplier is getting the products from China then the products could have been delayed being made and dispatched by the Chinese New Year Celebrations. I have had a replacement camera delayed by several weeks at this time of the year. This was with a relatively big name manufacturer.

To essentially close this thread off, I received my money back today from eBay which is great and a relief. The seller I bought the camera from has now disappeared from eBay which tells it’s own tale. At least I know the eBay money back guarantee works.

advertisement

Back