advertisement

Ebay EULA updates - bonkers?

albireo

pfm Member
https://esellercafe.com/ebay-sellers-may-pay-final-values-fees-off-platform-sales/

"REPORTING BUYERS IS YOUR ONLY PROTECTION

With this new policy in place, your only protection from being charged for a sale that may or may not happen outside of eBay is to report a buyer asking you for making just such a sale.

It is not enough to just tell a buyer that you cannot do it, but you must now report that buyer to eBay. Reports by sellers about buyers are anonymous."

I'd have thought the problem was vendors trying to sell outside- given all the mobile numbers and heavy hints offered in adverts. I always want to buy inside eBay rules and have spent £ tens of thousands on stuff on eBay precisely because of that protection.

Its not the vendor in my case. And therefore probably many vendors....a small percentage, maybe 1 in 20 buyers are not aware of how dangerous talking about it becomes...so they bludgeon their way in and ebay do not block their messages, only ours.

Buyer: Hi there, I was wondering if you could do me a deal, maybe get in touch by email and I'll pay you straight into paypal as payment to family and get all the fees knocked off?

Writing a response that does not piss the buyer off and does not piss ebay off is quite time consuming. And you have to write with clues

Vendor: Dear Buyer

Thank you for your interest in our product. We are unfortunately not allowed to discuss trading outside ebay. You would need to find our product on other websites.

Buyer: What website?

Vendor: Dear buyer

I'm not even allowed to to tell you that.

Buyer: Fvck it, then, can't be arsed.

Most vendors can't be arsed either. We'd rather just get the order without any communication, box it, send it, job done.

You don't need ebay AND paypal protection, Dec. Only paypal. The only extra layer you get with ebay is vendor feedback fear.

And feedback is for the dregs of society in my opinion. I'd only want protecting financially, no need to be nasty or sniffy. So an invoice via paypal protects you from damaged items, incorrect items or non delivery.

I've just had a listing cancelled by eBay for stating that "as the item is for local collection only I will NOT accept PayPal payment". I've just spent 10 minutes on instant chat with eBay customer service trying to explain the bleeding obvious about sellers being open to fraud if the buyer claims non-receipt of an item they have paid for by PayPal and collected in person. The CS rep consulted his line manager and then came back to me saying they needed more time to clarify their policy on this and would get back to me later. Surely they must already know about this???!!!

Spooky, I had exactly the same thing happen when I listed my WE 300b valves.

Stated that "as couriers won't insure glass these are collection only so no paypal"

Auction was cancelled with an email saying that I have to accept paypal payment as a seller. I didn't challenge it as I just can't be arsed with ebay any more.

I've just had a listing cancelled by eBay for stating that "as the item is for local collection only I will NOT accept PayPal payment". I've just spent 10 minutes on instant chat with eBay customer service trying to explain the bleeding obvious about sellers being open to fraud if the buyer claims non-receipt of an item they have paid for by PayPal and collected in person. The CS rep consulted his line manager and then came back to me saying they needed more time to clarify their policy on this and would get back to me later. Surely they must already know about this???!!!

You get round that by only stating cash on collection - don't mention not accepting PayPal on the listing.

If, on the odd occasion a buyer pays by PayPal without thinking - reverse the payment and on the notes section of the refund politely state that the listing says 'cash on collection' because sellers have no protection on collected goods. I have never had a buyer object to that. You will draw ebay's attention if you try to state you won't accept PayPal.

Forget chat, it takes about 2 hours to go nowhere, half an hour explaining the problem, often. You need the call me option, only available on certain issue. but I use it for every issue so you need to pretend its about VAT or invoicing I think when navigating.

There is a call or call me option. Look: https://snag.gy/okFXaH.jpg

This link might work: https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/cusr?query=342&levelHierarchy=2a2a2

Further to this, you get better help with the Irish telephone team than you do with the Indian team. If it is a complex matter, I put the phone down if it is not an Irish accent and ring again.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

They do. It is actually illegal for the medium by which buyer and seller are introduced to impose a method of payment on either party, which forcing Paypal on people is, as it is a private arrangement between the two parties (the legislation was The Sale Of Goods Act, 1979, Section 28 Concurrence Of Conditions. This has now been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, not sure of the section, I will try and find it).

I had this exact argument with Ebay, pointed out this legislation, and they backed down (but, funnily enough, didn't publicise it or change their policy). My listings all now say 'The preferred method of payment is cash on collection, Paypal is very much NOT preferred (Ebay have confirmed that expressing a preference as to how I am paid does not break their rules". Occasionally you get a smart arse reporting your listing and they pull it, but taking their customer services to task over it usually resolves matters in my favour.

advertisement

Back