Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Easy Listening - The Pleasures of Middle of the Road

Discussion in 'music' started by Big Tabs, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

My kids are 1980’s/1990’s so the only comparison I have is the Granddaughters.
    Both 11-12 years old. Both can identify The Beatles tunes, and usually name who is singing. They like Elvis, Kate Bush but not got them on to Hendrix yet. Exceptions to the majority I suppose.
    Both have or want record players. They listen with me in the music room to stuff and we deconstruct it, then put it back together. They are good listeners.

My 3 Kids like music a lot as well. And HiFi.

2. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

I like lots of this stuff, & I'll add Matt Munro to the list. A great voice & apparently one of Frank Sinatra's favourite singers. Many years ago we were visiting Longleat & as we entered the lion enclosure the car's multidisc player selected Matt Munro's Greatest Hits & ‘Born Free’ started playing. True dat…

Snufkin and Big Tabs like this.
  3. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Bread anyone?

and dare I suggest

JJ Cale…

4. Bob McC

On my bucket list was driving the moyenne corniche from Nice to Monaco and back with Matt Monro on the stereo.
    Achieved it six years ago.

Snufkin and Suffolk Tony like this.
  5. Bob McC

Rarely off any playlist of mine is Aznavour.

6. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

Definitely Bread.

Memorable and good singalong

7. zeon

zeon pfm Member

Barry ?

8. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

John, Gibb, White?

9. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

As a Swede I, in my youth, I had to endure ABBA members very bland pre ABBA output. One thing was sure, none of them where to make it on the international scene ;)

Come to think of it, Björn U's favorites where Kingston Trio :eek:

Big Tabs likes this.
  10. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

Grew up with Dean Martin, Herb Alpert, and Wayne Newton records being played in the house. Still listen to all of them.

More recently I've expanded my easy listening horizons into "exotica", collected most of the classics from Martin Denny, Alfred Apaka, etc. This weekend I added five LPs: Yma Sumac, two mid-60s Bud Shank/Chet Baker records, and two from London's own Norrie Paramor – a new discovery for me. Wonderfully evocative sounds of times long past.

Big Tabs likes this.
  11. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

MFSL put out a series of Mystic Moods Orchestra LPs in 1978. I have two of them. :)

Big Tabs and paulfromcamden like this.