advertisement

[FS] Eastern Electric Minimax Power Amplifier £425

dynadavid

pfm Member
For sale is an Eastern Electric Minimax power amplifier, boxed and with original instruction manual. £425

I am moving house in the Summer and I am downsizing and selling some of my amplifiers/tuners/phono stages.

I have owned this 8 watts per channel push-pull valve amplifier for about 10 years.
It has pair of 6BM8 miniature tubes for each audio channel- the 6BM8 contains a power pentode and a high-gain triode in a single envelope. Power supply is a GZ34 valve rectifier with a choke pi filter.
There are 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps on the output transformers which really helps when matching to different speakers.
I have used this amplifier extensively in a second system and I have had excellent results with several different speakers. My LS3/5a’s sounded fabulous with this amp and LS3/5a’s are 82dB efficient.
In lovely condition and perfect working order.

I have a full spare set of 6BM8 valves that are included in the price and the amp will come with the Original Eastern Electric branded GZ34 not the RCA GZ34 shown in the photographs.

I have original packaging and the instructions and I would prefer pick up from West Kirby (Merseyside) but I also travel frequently to Chester/South Manchester if that helps pick up.
I could ship in the UK but I estimate it would cost £20 plus because it is a heavy little thing.

UK only sale.
Any questions, please PM me.

Review here: https://6moons.com/audioreviews/eelectric2/amp_2.html

IVdisUP.jpeg

tDCDF0A.jpeg

MT2LLkV.jpeg

woi1WZm.jpeg

Vc0yIOF.jpeg

An amplifier that punches well above its weight and looks amazing.
Not made any more but easy to service.
Final list price was north of £1100 and that was several years ago.

I have one and have run vintage Snell Jii's (around 91db sensitivity), B&W 606's and Proac db1's (both at 88db) without any issues. Despite its diminutive size it packs a punch.

I have used several different speakers with the Minimax over the years:
LS3/5a, Tannoy DC6 and Quad ESL57 worked very well and most recently I have been using my Woden Maeshowe (DIY horn).
The three transformer taps that worked best were LS3/5a 16 ohm, DC6 8ohm ESL57 and Maeshowe 4 ohm.

What speakers have you been running with this please.
When I bought my Proac Response 1SC it was powered by one of these minimax amps and they sounded fantastic. 2x8W is not data I would be getting hung up on. This is a very capable amp. The sensitivity of the proacs is about 84db/W/m

Thanks. I have had some interest but no sale yet.
I have had this amp for so long, I am reluctant to sell it but like many folk on the forum, I have got too much stuff.

What pre amp did you use it with? I just remember the pre was ace but had a high output. So I'm wondering if it would with a passive or not.

I used the DCB1 buffer quite happily with it so yes, it works well with a passive.
I also used my NAC72 with Ryan Sound Labs boards and the adjustable line out board set at its lowest level. The volume was around the 9-12 o'clock range

advertisement

Back