advertisement

Earplugs for swimming?

BLACKMASS

pfm Member
Can anyone recommend a decent pair of earplugs for swimming please?

I had a nasty ear infection last year which has left me with constant Tinnitus. I’m very wary of going swimming without any earplugs. The ear infection wasn’t caused by swimming BTW.

Any recommendations will be welcome. Nothing too expensive as these things are easily lost.

Cheers
Rob

PS: I did do a search but nothing came up.

Try stuffing cotton wool impregnated with vaseline into your ears, and it's as cheap as chips, too!

My hearing is pretty good, but going down more than 6ft underwater is very uncomfortable. So is coming down to land very often when flying. Been the case since my 20s (long time), any suggestions apart from sucking a sweet?

My hearing is pretty good, but going down more than 6ft underwater is very uncomfortable. So is coming down to land very often when flying. Been the case since my 20s (long time), any suggestions apart from sucking a sweet?

When descending (swimming or flying) pinch your nose, close your mouth and gently try to exhale to equalize the pressure in your ears.
When ascending swallow (or yawn if flying).

The swimming thing is still pretty uncomfortable for me also if I do it repeatedly, but if I just need to dive down to the bottom of the pool once the pinch and blow will equalize my ears for that dive.

Regarding earplugs my hunch is that they will be a very personal thing - what works well for one person is uncomfortable for the next, so a little experimentation may be needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=swimming+earplugs&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
When descending (swimming or flying) pinch your nose, close your mouth and gently try to exhale to equalize the pressure in your ears.
When ascending swallow (or yawn if flying).

The swimming thing is still pretty uncomfortable for me also if I do it repeatedly, but if I just need to dive down to the bottom of the pool once the pinch and blow will equalize my ears for that dive.

Regarding earplugs my hunch is that they will be a very personal thing - what works well for one person is uncomfortable for the next, so a little experimentation may be needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=swimming+earplugs&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Yes, I've done that (pinching my nose), but worry that I might put too much internal pressure on my eardrums, maybe should exhale more. Will try soon.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I gave up trying to find earplugs. The answer for me is this stuff... available from all reputable apothecaries (And Amazon)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009P2155I/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The only downside for me is that unless you get someone else to drop it into your ears, it's difficult to judge how much. You can't overdo it, but it can get a bit wasteful. They could do with some sort of 'metered' dispenser.

Thanks for all your responses.

I've had a Google and looked on Amazon. It's hard to trust any reviews.
I guess I've got to buy a few and '''suck it and see".

advertisement

Back