advertisement

Early retirement… who did it?

My father’s father died in his sixties, but his grandfather lived into his late nineties, and may have made 100 had he not fallen out of bed and broken his leg. Infection set in and that was the end of him.
Hip fractures see off many over octogenarians.

My double bourbon three nights a week needs some work then.
Yes. My parents weren’t fussed about quality though. Sometimes I’d treat them to a single malt; it’d get topped up with lemonade and drunk like lemonade regardless, so I switched to buying them bigger bottles of the cheap stuff.

It costs 4 grand, so you need to well heeled for that too............I was going to jump (as per the song) off the roof, then when I saw it on the telly its single story.....

It relentless Matt, were doomed....

S
I thought it was £40k?

I’m seriously hoping voluntary euthanasia laws will change. The pain and suffering we subject many people to is just awful. You wouldn’t do it to your dog or cat. If I find myself in a pickle, I’m off to Switzerland, or give snowflake a call and see if he can offer better terms.

I’m seriously hoping voluntary euthanasia laws will change. The pain and suffering we subject many people to is just awful. You wouldn’t do it to your dog or cat. If I find myself in a pickle, I’m off to Switzerland, or give snowflake a call and see if he can offer better terms.

I think you have to be in a very serious pickle indeed to be accepted by the Swiss clinic. I mean like intense unbearable physical pain and disability and no hope whatsoever of an improvement.

I am sure that if a reliable method of suicide were easier, there’d be a lot more of it about.

I think you have to be in a very serious pickle indeed to be accepted by the Swiss clinic. I mean like intense unbearable physical pain and disability and no hope whatsoever of an improvement.

I am sure that if suicide were easier, there’d be a lot more of it about.

Nope I believe they'll off you for just for the crack, sure I saw a program where they offed a couple as they simply could not be arsed to go on living any more, I assumed you have to convince them its your express wish of course.

I'm hoping I hadn't unwittingly turned over to the mid-point of a brass eye, but you never know.

S

Nope I believe they'll off you for just for the crack, sure I saw a program where they offed a couple as they simply could not be arsed to go on living any more, I assumed you have to convince them its your express wish of course.

I'm hoping I hadn't unwittingly turned over to the mid-point of a brass eye, but you never know.

S

If that’s right, it’s good news. 40K well spent.

I am sure that if a reliable method of suicide were easier, there’d be a lot more of it about.

Unfortunately I sense there are lots of people in that situation. Our approach seems to be to prolong intense pain and suffering until the body dies. No thanks.

There are quite a few reliable and readily available methods, some of which are believed to be painless.

There are very few people buying annuities nowadays…mostly those who have a guaranteed advantageous rate. Yes this is taxable as salary would be. There should a 25% tax free though…the same is the case with drawdown.

One option with drawdown is to use up the tax free part first plus taxable to use up you income tax allowance. The leaves more invested to hopefully grow better. Sorry, it’s a brief answer. I can add more later if I need to.

I have a spreadsheet which demonstrates taking a Flexi drawdown approach. Taking part 25% tax free and drawing only the £12,570 to equal a decent income for us until State pension starts which would reduce the personal pension drawdown.

Depends on what is in your pot of course etc etc. I'm at the sharp end at the moment having chosen to retire at the end of September. Decisions to be made. Like should I really pay 0.75% to an IFA and what would be the best platform to transfer too.

I've got until my last salary runs out to sort it.

There are quite a few reliable and readily available methods, some of which are believed to be painless.

An ex colleague of mine who was the life and soul took his own life at 40 and used a helium hood. A painless way apparently. Hardly leaves any sign.

An ex colleague of mine who was the life and soul took his own life at 40 and used a helium hood. A painless way apparently. Hardly leaves any sign.

When I was a kid our next door neighbour tried the hosepipe on the exhaust method. His wife came home early from work and smelt the fumes coming from the garage, opened the door and called 999. He was left brain damaged and she spent the rest of his life caring for him.

Utterly tragic ... as are all aspects of suicide and the often severe impact it can have on the lives of others.

I have a spreadsheet which demonstrates taking a Flexi drawdown approach. Taking part 25% tax free and drawing only the £12,570 to equal a decent income for us until State pension starts which would reduce the personal pension drawdown.

Depends on what is in your pot of course etc etc. I'm at the sharp end at the moment having chosen to retire at the end of September. Decisions to be made. Like should I really pay 0.75% to an IFA and what would be the best platform to transfer too.

Similarly, I'm retiring (for the 2nd time) at the end of the year. I've just moved the bulk of my funds to a drawdown platform. I'm paying 0.5% to my IFA for about 65% of my funds which are a are a mix of 20% DB and 80% DC but not all my DC funds are on the drawdown platform yet. I'm over the LTA so the IFA helps with balancing risk of my investments vs tax liability...it get s a bit complex. There's not much point in taking high investment risk when the gains would be taxed. I think it's worth paying the IFA for a while at least. The IFA charges in effect come from the taxable portion of my funds so in a way it's not that expensive. The advice for moving to a drawdown platform can be more costly on top of the standards charges.

I find taking IFA advice useful, if only for some piece of mind with my decisions.

That’s the key difference now. In fairness to Osborne, the ‘pension freedoms’ he introduced giving people access and choices with their own money, have changed everything. Until that point, I took very little interest in it all, just paid into the company scheme which converted to an annuity at retirement age and piled what additional provision I wanted to make into property. No longer! Good luck with the choices to be made, a potential minefield and all dependent on your personal circumstances and requirements.

This could give you some ideas.
https://apple.news/A-cRz5tBISJuUMPlPC7mD9g

I was made redundant at 46 after 26 years service. Firstly, I paid the mortgage off then transferred my Final Salary Pension to a SSIP - the TV factor at the time was huge. I'm 55 next year so could take some out of the SSIP but fortunately my wife is 8 years my junior and so still working and keeping me in beer and peanuts.

advertisement

Back