advertisement

Early 1980s system suggestions

vibemaster

pfm Member
I'm assembling a second system for my office and would like it all to be of similar vintage. I've recently had my Naim 12s/120 combo back from service. When I bought them (used) in 1987, I had an LP12 as source and AR18LS (Graham's modified) as speakers. I still have the AR18s, which will suffice until I can afford a pair of Mk. 1 Kans. I use a modern LP12/ekos/klyde in my main system, and would like suggestions for an appropriate (cheaper) alternative for the front end for the office.

In the early 80s, I had a Dual 505-2 into a Nad 3020 - would the Dual have been a deck of choice for Naim systems at that time? PL-12? Goldring Lenco? Thorens? I have (or will have) both MM and MC cards.

All suggestions gratefully received - particularly from anyone who ran early Naim boxes!

Rega Planar 2 (wood plinth), Planar 3 (both R200 S shape arm) would be my choice. Things like the Lenco and Pioneer were 1970s, and the Dual, well I’d just pay the extra for a Rega or TD160. There are a few outliers e.g. CJ Walker, Heybrook, Ariston, Logic, Dais, JBE, Michell Focus etc, all worthy of a look if in tidy working condition. I’d add Heybrook HB2s to the speaker shortlist too, right era and superb if you can find a properly working pair.

Around 1980 I had Ariston RD80/Linn Basik + Rogers A75Mk2 + Heybrook HB2.

At that time I was planning to upgrade to the LP12 + Naim + HB2 when funds built up.

I had a Thorens 166 it was freaking ace and a much more interesting choice than yet another boring old Rega.

I had a Thorens 166 it was freaking ace and a much more interesting choice than yet another boring old Rega.
I can see why the Rega appeals to many, I always preferred the Thorens/PT/Xerxes/Manticore types of deck at that time.

I intended getting the LP12 but ended up trading the RD80 for a PT1, I was just a young lad at the time and I still recall that the Linn/Naim dealer was just an arrogant dick to me, so we moved on to another dealer down the road and bought a Pink.

I compared the PT1 to the Meridian Pro CD player, their first and thought it was harsh and shrill, didn’t buy a CD player for many years, looking back I shouldn’t have bothered cos all I’m doin* is replacing loads of CD’s with LP’s if available or waiting for them to be issued on vinyl. Still got the PT, now up and spinning again after a few years, off board power supply got busted in a house move while I was stuck in hospital, looked like it had been dropped.

I can see why the Rega appeals to many, I always preferred the Thorens/PT/Xerxes/Manticore types of deck at that time.

I intended getting the LP12 but ended up trading the RD80 for a PT1, I was just a young lad at the time and I still recall that the Linn/Naim dealer was just an arrogant dick to me, so we moved on to another dealer down the road and bought a Pink.

I compared the PT1 to the Meridian Pro CD player, their first and thought it was harsh and shrill, didn’t buy a CD player for many years, looking back I shouldn’t have bothered cos all I’m doin* is replacing loads of CD’s with LP’s if available or waiting for them to be issued on vinyl. Still got the PT, now up and spinning again after a few years, off board power supply got busted in a house move while I was stuck in hospital, looked like it had been dropped.
Now then Gus, Good to hear from you. My upgrade path at the time was Thorens 166, Thorens 320 ( no better, hated the bloody thing) and then Elite Rock mk2. In some ways the 166 was the best of the three - it had a 'boppy' rhythmic quality that I missed when I part exe-d it.
My first CD player was a mission PCM4000 - it made everything sound boring. Sold it at 17cds and got rid of the cds too. Didnt buy anymore for years. Now CD sounds stunning in my system, leaving vinyl in the dust.
A couple of questions if you dont mind: wasnt the MCD Meridian's first player? the pro came later (... and I would still die for one). Also, if your Pink Triangle has an external power supply I'm guessing that makes it a PT Too with the AC motor rather than the DC one in the mk1. I'm sure I'm wrong so do please correct me.

...would the Dual have been a deck of choice for Naim systems at that time?

Absolutely not. The 505 is a passable budget deck and nothing more. Put it in front of any revealing amp and speakers and they will explain to you just how budget it is. Planar2 or 3 is the minimum for any Naim amp. There are lots of viable options but you need to aim a little higher.

Now then Gus, Good to hear from you. My upgrade path at the time was Thorens 166, Thorens 320 ( no better, hated the bloody thing) and then Elite Rock mk2. In some ways the 166 was the best of the three - it had a 'boppy' rhythmic quality that I missed when I part exe-d it.
My first CD player was a mission PCM4000 - it made everything sound boring. Sold it at 17cds and got rid of the cds too. Didnt buy anymore for years. Now CD sounds stunning in my system, leaving vinyl in the dust.
A couple of questions if you dont mind: wasnt the MCD Meridian's first player? the pro came later (... and I would still die for one). Also, if your Pink Triangle has an external power supply I'm guessing that makes it a PT Too with the AC motor rather than the DC one in the mk1. I'm sure I'm wrong so do please correct me.
You’d be right it was the 1st Meridian MCD player I listened to, based on a Philips 101? Think the Pro was in a deeper chassis and a couple years later. My girlfriend had my PT1 upgraded end on the 80’s to PT Too as a birthday present with the external metal power supply new motor. I’ve now got it running with a new motor and modern electronic power supply, gave up on getting the old PSU fixed or one coming up on eBay for sensible money.

I did buy a CD player in the 90’s a Sony 339ES, I chose the VRDS in the demo but then got told the price and so the Sony came home, it was a nice thing to use and sounded decent enough.

A&R Cambridge A60 integrated amplifier, Rega Planar 3 turntable custom-drilled for Grace 707 tonearm with Grace F9E phono cartridge, and KEF 104aB loudspeakers. That is the exact system that was proposed to me by my amazing salesperson (Ken Christianson) but I chickened out because all those brands were unfamiliar to me at the time.

I ended up with the top-of-the-line Kenwood KR-9600 receiver, Sony PS-X7 direct drive turntable with Stanton 881S phono cartridge and Polk Monitor 10 loudspeakers. All very well-reviewed gear, but the system was just OK in terms of sound and musical enjoyment.

I STILL kick myself, even 40 years later, for taking a pass on that first system. Sigh...

Early 80's I had a B&O 1400 fully automatic tt :)

If I had your project I would go for a fully perspex encased Gyro (I first saw one in the flesh in the 80's at a dealership in Preston)

Dual 505-2 into a Technics Amp, into Boston A40 loudspeakers was my 1st early 80's system.

Mid later 80's saw this change to a Linn Axis TT, Musical Fidelity amp and Linn Index plus loudspeakers.

I'm surprised that Nad amps and Kef speakers aren't getting more of a mention?

Dual 505-2 into a Technics Amp, into Boston A40 loudspeakers was my 1st early 80's system.

Mine was a Dual 505/2 Deluxe, real wood effect plastic wrap, Yamaha A320 and Wharfdale Diamonds. It was ok but when I swapped the Dual for a Planar 3 it was Hi-Fi.

I'm surprised that Nad amps and Kef speakers aren't getting more of a mention?

Liked every Kef speaker I've heard but I never got the Nad 3020 buzz. Seemed rather flat sounding thing to me.

Good excuse to experiment with ‘80s Japanese direct drive? If it were me I’d want something v different from the main system, so nothing suspended, unless suspended using a different principle: early Gyrodec would be quite the feature.

Thinking about it the 12S/120 is mid-70s isn’t it? Given that’s the starting point shouldn’t it define the timeline? It was certainly long gone from the Naim range by 1980.

The 80s were my main hifi days also.
Started with all Marantz, a very nasty TT221 deck, PM230, SD340 into Wharfedale Laser 50s.
That morphed to Dual CS 505mkiiDL, Nad3020B, Denon DRM11, Tannoy Mercury mki.
Then Manticore Mantra/Rega250/a few changes in cartridge, Inca Tech Claymore, Denon deck stayed, Gale GS302s and added Marantz CD75TB.
After that it all went very serious for a long time until things were simplified again.

I started my journey with a Nait 1 in 1984 so rather familiar........
Both your speakers and amp combo look good to me so I wouldn’t make any change here, specifically for the 12/120 as you may regret it later on.
I was running a LP12 as well back then but for something more affordable, I have to agree for the Regga 3, Thorens but I would also add to the list a Micro Seiki with a large wooden plinth if you can find one at a good price, usually very serious stuff for the price.

advertisement

Back