advertisement

ear to driver height alignment gauge.

karma67

pfm Member
i made a crude ear/driver height gauge.
its always bugged me that i cant actually measure properly the height of my ears when sitting in the listening chair as the sofa arm gets in the way. this solves the problem as i dont need measurements,i simple sit down and raise or lower the round bar till it touches my ear and then move it over to the speakers and and check it agaisnt the drivers height. as it turns out i wasn't far out anyway.

WARNING PANTS ARE IN THE PHOTO!!!!

Goq6LkO.jpg

Close enough for jazz...

Listening to my '57s right now. They're up on small Ikea tables (copying a post from a few years back) and I notice that the Towshend brackets for their supertweeters place the latter about six inches above my ears. Sound is excellent - from which I deduce that a little too high is no problem, it's too low that can make a night and day difference.

And to throw spanner in the works .

I listen to my NS1000's with the mid range driver at ear height .

I think @cooky1257 has been spoiled by dual-concentrics. Some multiway designs are very sensitive to listening height, especially if listening near or midfield where a given height offset creates a far greater angle than when listening in the farfield.

I think @cooky1257 has been spoiled by dual-concentrics. Some multiway designs are very sensitive to listening height, especially if listening near or midfield where a given height offset creates a far greater angle than when listening in the farfield.

yar, any speaker that I have ever had have sounded best with the tweeter at ear height. Too high or low and I can tell and it sounds off

yar, any speaker that I have ever had have sounded best with the tweeter at ear height. Too high or low and I can tell and it sounds off
It really depends on the speaker. Many are indeed designed to be in-phase at the crossover point when the tweeter is at ear height, but some aren't, or at least aren't unless you're listening many metres away from it.

Raising the speaker up to achieve to most in-phase response at the crossover point isn't always the best thing to do as it can make the bass response worse. A better solution is often to 'rake' (tilt) the speaker backwards as this has the same effect as increasing the height of the tweeter without affecting the bass as much.

i made a crude ear/driver height gauge.
its always bugged me that i cant actually measure properly the height of my ears when sitting in the listening chair as the sofa arm gets in the way. this solves the problem as i dont need measurements,i simple sit down and raise or lower the round bar till it touches my ear and then move it over to the speakers and and check it agaisnt the drivers height. as it turns out i wasn't far out anyway.

WARNING PANTS ARE IN THE PHOTO!!!!
Christ, my idea of crude would be a parting bead and a marker:eek:

It really depends on the speaker. Many are indeed designed to be in-phase at the crossover point when the tweeter is at ear height, but some aren't, or at least aren't unless you're listening many metres away from it.

Raising the speaker up to achieve to most in-phase response at the crossover point isn't always the best thing to do as it can make the bass response worse. A better solution is often to 'rake' (tilt) the speaker backwards as this has the same effect as increasing the height of the tweeter without affecting the bass as much.

i agree,mine are tilted back,they just sound better integrated like this to my ears. im listening nearfield .

Nowt to do with my experience of Dual Concentrics...
Basic trigonometry; At a mid field distance of 2m varying your ear height by +/- 50mm amounts to an incident angle at the tweeter axis of +/-1.4 degrees, by +/- 75mm and it's just +/- 2 degrees off vertical axis. +/- 50mm @3m distance and it's less than +/-1 degree.
As for the drivers/crossover frontal lobe no decent loudspeaker would be any where near that narrow at that distance.. ATC for example have a vertical dispersion /'coherence angle' of +/- 10deg about the mid axis or midway between the mid and tweeter depending on the model.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back