advertisement

Ear plugs

I found that the Earpeace ones (as recommended by Tony L on here) are pretty good, I prefer them to the Etymotics I was using previously. They kept me safe during a Sunn O))) concert, which is the ultimate test...

People comparing Etymotics, please note that they make a whole range from cheap generic fitting with more basic attenuation through many different versions all the way up to the Musician Pro custom fits which a whole different matter. My recommendations are the top end for a DJ/Musician.

'Evening, all,

My 19 year old daughter has been DJing many weekends the last 6 months & just asked me if I know of any acoustic ear plugs for protection when at gigs / concerts / festivals. Basically anywhere music is played loud.

Any recommendations, please ? Obviously not over-ear stuff.
Your daughter is very sensible . I DJ'd clubs for years through that have lost a bit of my hearing and also have tinnitus.

Did I say they were better? No!

Did I say they were necessary? No!
Did I say that you did? No!

Did the OP mentioned a factory, where clearly H&S Legal compliance is important, No.........
No........ He mentioned a workplace where clearly H&S compliance is important. It matters not a jot whether you work in a factory, a building site, a noisy pub......or as a DJ. Hearing protection is subject to the same regulations.

I spoke with a very helpful fellow at Alpine here and have now ordered a set of MusicSafe Pro, which has 3 different filters (16, 19 & 22db) https://www.alpine.nl/gehoorbescherming/musicsafe-pro/

He said many DJs and musicians use them here, but if my daughter intends to make a career out of it, then it's worth coming in to be fitted for a pair of MusicSafe Custom 4D @ €149 https://www.alpine.nl/gehoorbescherming/musicsafe-custom/

Thanks, again (& no arguing on my thread, boys :rolleyes:)!

Or save yourselves £110 and get the Musician Society ones I mentioned upthread... They’re reputedly the best around so all my musician friends who use them say.

Or save yourselves £110 and get the Musician Society ones I mentioned upthread... They’re reputedly the best around so all my musician friends who use them say.

I very much appreciate the link, but we are resident in The Netherlands & my daughter has a Dutch passport, so I doubt she would be eligible.

If anyone is thinking of buying the Bollsen Music Sound Pro, which are well-reviewed ear protectors, I tried them recently and I can report that they are awful!
They fit well, are comfortable, discreet and do definitely provide a good level of protection, but the sound is terrible. Myself and my wife wore them to a Flaming Lips concert last week and had to remove them as it sounded like being underwater.

I'm a little late to this party but thought I'd add my 2. I've been using earplugs for gigs since I was 17/18 which equates to 30+ years. I have used them all and Etymotics are in my experience the best. You can get all sorts of off the shelf of course and even custom ones from other brands but always went back to Ety.

Now my biggest recommendation, if your daughter is close enough, is to see Geraldine Daly at Harley Street Hearing. She has worked with musicians for years and her team will work with you to get the absolute best fit. Once she has a great fit they keep the mould on file so if she loses one she doesn't have to go back in to get re-fitted (thought to be fair I think this is now standard wherever you would get Etys). They are a little more than others but you pay for that experience which I would say is well worth it.

advertisement

Back