advertisement

Ear health

busb

Mine's a pint of beer please
Most people take care of their systems but what about ears?

After a 2nd syringing attempt in 5 days, my completely blocked left ear is now back to normal. I've had wax problems before - always in the same ear (but never completely blocked).

The practice sister who carried out the procedure (no longer a mechanical plunger-like device but an electric pump that pulses the water here in the UK) asked if it was the ear I held a phone to. When I replied it was, she just nodded - she wasn't surprised. The same ear has been treated long before mobile phone use so was probably a general observation that holding any sort of phone to the same ear generated more wax.

If anyone is considering having their ears syringed, you will need to treat yourself with ear wax remover for a week before they will consider doing it. My surgery suggested olive oil. If you ear is only intermittently blocked, you may find it blocks completely which is very unpleasent if not actually painful as the wax softens.

As for preventative maintanence if prone to wax build-up, a few drops of olive oil every week, month or so will both soften the wax & lubricate the canal enough for it to either fall out on its own accord or be washed out during a bath. I cleaned the bottle of spent ear wax remover then refilled it with olive oil. I was also told not to use in-ear buds - the further away the transducer from the ear drum - the better! I was also advised not to use cotton buds in my ears as well.

Fortunately, the greatly elevated level of Tinnitus has gone back to its previously intermittently low level.

I was also told not to use in-ear buds.

Also don't use cotton buds

I still remember going to the doctor when I was a child and being told off for using them. His advice was not to stick anything smaller than my elbow into my ears!

Lefty

I still remember going to the doctor when I was a child and being told off for using them. His advice was not to stick anything smaller than my elbow into my ears!

Lefty

Sounds like good advice to me!

Lefty

If you are interested in the reasons for this, the first (minor) risk is too violent use of an ear bud could perforate the ear drum (especially if it happens to be weak); the second more serious concern is that removing too much wax from the canal makes it much easier for bacteria to grow leading to an attack of otitis externa, which can be be very painful and can in bad cases lead to a perforated ear drum.

Nic P

if like me you have to wait about 7 days to see a nurse to get your ear's syringed, (or 5 days if its life threatening ) again olive oil ,,even sun-flower oil will do,,for a week then a hot bath, and a turkey baster will do the trick,, as long as your not stupid with it,,, £1 from wilko's,,,

if like me you have to wait about 7 days to see a nurse to get your ear's syringed, (or 5 days if its life threatening ) again olive oil ,,even sun-flower oil will do,,for a week then a hot bath, and a turkey baster will do the trick,, as long as your not stupid with it,,, £1 from wilko's,,,

Amazon sell the same syringing machine used in the treatment room for ~£150. They sell various treatments including suction devices, scoops, drops, sprays etc, etc. I've also ignored advise not to use cotton buds. After this upleasant episode, I feel more inclinded to stick neither headphones nor anything else in my ears. I know health professionals have a tendency to advise against self-administration of many procedures that probably work a high percentage of the time but see 1st hand the effects of when it goes pear-shaped!

I was also told not to use in-ear buds - the further away the transducer from the ear drum - the better! I was also advised not to use cotton buds in my ears as well.

Fortunately, the greatly elevated level of Tinnitus has gone back to its previously intermittently low level.

Interesting. I've never got on with in-ear buds but have been considering getting some custom-fit earplugs made which would fit quite far into the ear. Does anyone know any reason why this might not be a good idea?

I have mild tinnitus so I'm keen to keep the hearing I have!

IMO, in ear buds will keep the outside noise out, which in turn means you do not have to crank the volume up, to get the same perceived sound, custom-fit should be better still, tinnitus is damage to the hairs in the ear that do the listening, these are damaged by very loud noise, and when damaged stay damaged, keep buds clean, with a wipe now and again, and take cheep plugs to gigs from now on just in-case,,i do,,,

advertisement

Back