advertisement

E scooters

I'd like to see them tried in Plymouth. Cyclists have to get off and push on the hills near where I live!
And it is only the rental scooters that will be legal, I believe, so how will the authorities cope with all the private ones, which will likely not be speed regulated, nor traceable?

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fef254b18-4cf4-11ea-95a0-43d18ec715f5

Nice picture with the girl with both feet together, thats a pot hole fail waiting to happen.

I think they are a good idea if regulated. Me, I prefer an Ebike or a Brompton (have both) but if it gets people in the fresh air and out of cars and buses then I’m all for it.

I’ve used the kids scooters loads of times and have yet to face plant. They are quality ones with big wheels (Decathlon) and don’t hang around although not electric.

And it is only the rental scooters that will be legal, I believe, so how will the authorities cope with all the private ones, which will likely not be speed regulated, nor traceable?

I guess it will be another problem for the Police to regulate. I would take a hard line - if found being used in public space, then they are removed and crushed. In reality, it will probably be regulated as effective as the no-smoking in company vehicles regulations. I see that everywhere, but I've yet to see or hear of anyone being prosecuted for it. The Police will most likely only become involved when there are accidents/incidents.

Plenty being used on the pavement as well as the road round here and not limited to 15mph either.

Someone will get hurt soon.

Plenty being used on the pavement as well as the road round here and not limited to 15mph either.

Someone will get hurt soon.

Yes, that is the problem. Some people will not use them as intended and there will be incidents. Taking a hard line via crushing illegally used scooters would help drive home the threshold. But that won't happen, as we already struggle to control bike thefts, illegal motorbikes and cars etc.

Unfortunately, there have already been e-scooter deaths, even when not legal to use in the UK on public space:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/13/tv-presenter-emily-hartridge-dies-in-scooter-crash

The wheels are far too small for use on the road. Even the smallest pot hole is going to swallow the front wheel and you will rotate around it until you plant your teeth in the asphalt. Which will be highly amusing for everyone else. You might even land a Darwin Award :)

I don’t know about amusing.
More like dangerous.

Look to be pretty dangerous for road use and even worse on pavements , they would really need a dedicated track for safety reasons but uk does not have the space or funds for this

They're great, although I'm not sure the road is the best place for them, given the size of the potholes I ride over on my bike.

They are super practical for short hops, especially between public transport methods, small and easy to carry without occupying much space. I don't understand the limiting of them to rental models though, they're widely in use in private ownership and are clearly greener than a car for short journeys. Legal e-bikes don't need insurance and a licence, why do these? It's probably down to the throttle only-propulsion, whereas bikes need to be pedalled.

They're much easier to bail on too, if anything does go wrong, you're closer to the ground than on a bike and getting off is far easier. If we're ever to get away from our infatuation with the car, these could really help in city areas.

advertisement

Back