advertisement

e bikes again

Rockmeister

pfm Member
returning again to this idea and had decided on something from CUBE, when I was daft enough to look up trust pilot reviews of the maker and BLIMEY! 70%odd 1 star???? I thought they were really good?
Im looking for a trekking type hybrid, mostly on road, and my pal who came last weekend turned up with a CUBE Kathmandu hybrid on the car roof and loves it, but I read customer service is appalling so?
All thoughts most welcome.

Raleigh, Trek and Giant are good according to other reviews??
Help from the experienced please ;)

It will cost more than a Cube but I have a Reise and Muller Nevo and it’s excellent. It is the most stable feeling bike I have ever ridden. Mid you it’s a 25kg monster.

I like that I can comfortably ride it at a slow walking pace when I need to on shared spaces.

It comes well kitted out with mudguards, a rack, lights and a lock. The drive train is great - Bosch high torque motor, carbon fibre drive belt instead of a chain and a continuously variable hub gear.

There is a good Facebook group for the brand Reise and Muller owners. You see very few complaints there.

I think you get what you pay for.

another male I would consider for quality is Gazelle.

I assume the OP is NOT referring to an e-bike ? Probably best to clarify before going any further.

I have to say despite the title the idea of putting an e-bike on the roof of a car is a little surprising! Most of them are very heavy.

Last edited:
To the OP, Giant have a good reputation and I've had good experience with Trek and Specialized, but no experience with e-bikes. For an e-bike I'd be thinking about how long you'll be able to get replacement batteries, so an established brand that sells a lot of e-bikes.
I'd also buy from a local(ish) store rather than off the internet.

I've got one of these and its fabulous (earlier model 2019 one), however mine was considerably cheaper, priced at 2500 and 2000 in the sale - price hike must be a brexit bonus:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/explore-eplus-1-2021

Does around 60-80 miles on a charge, I've done just shy of 3000 miles on it without a problem, save the front mudguard cracked, but I bodged that back together with tie wraps and aerosol top cut to shape.

I would also say buy from a local dealer, so if there are problems you can rock up and have it dealt with, a distance sale could be a hassle.

Also don't labour the specs/purcahse/options too long as it a moving target, there will always be bigger better faster more round the corner, but if you are always waiting for the next model you'll never buy one.

I've been loving mine for 3 years, a mate has been researching what to buy for a similar amount of time :)

S

For an e-bike I'd be thinking about how long you'll be able to get replacement batteries, so an established brand that sells a lot of e-bikes.
I'd also buy from a local(ish) store rather than off the internet.

I’d agree with his. Many e-bikes use Bosch motors and batteries so that should help with availability of parts. A knowledgeable dealer backing you up is a must.

I've mentioned it in previous threads...but be VERY cautious of bikes equipped with bosch power systems

The batteries ARE unreliable and cannot be repaired (even by bosch...that's how they get away with only selling replacements)

So a couple of years down the line...when the warranty has run out...and the BMS goes faulty ....that will be £600+ for a replacement battery sir.

Thats surprising. I have a bosh electric lawnmower, trimmer and strimmer still going strong after 15 years on the original 4 Bosch batteries. Surely technology has improved since 2007?

I have an R&M Tinker (bright yellow) that has a Bosch system.

DV

I've been riding one of these every workday for the last 2 years and it has been excellent:

https://www.specialized.com/ch/en/turbo-vado-sl

I wanted something that was essentially a normal bike, but with enough oomph to get me up our cliff-face of a hill, which I can no longer do on an ordinary bike. It does the job perfectly. I operate it with the power off most of the time, and switch it on for the hill. It is relatively light for an e-biule, 16Kg.

https://www.raleigh.co.uk/gb/en/mot...-bike/crossbar/?attrMarketingColor=Pine Green

That's a good looking thing!

My wife and I hired some e-bikes to ride around a lake in Scotland a few weeks ago. Neither of us had ridden any bike at all for over 10 years. It was a revelation and we rode about 40 miles by mid afternoon despite a lengthy stop for a picnic. Not far in cycling terms but it felt a long way to us and it was so, so easy. In the last two miles, aware that there was no risk to battery life by then, we went in turbo mode. Yikes! thats 21st century cycling!

Will not be buying bikes though - storage is a problem where we live and wit two dogs there is little opportunity to go for a ride!

advertisement

Back