Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

E-Bay virus

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hifi_dave, Feb 28, 2011.

1. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

Don't use E-Bay for a few hours. Time now is 1100 am.

I picked up a virus masquerading as an anti-virus programme on E-Bay last night. Fortunately, BT removed it for me and all appears to be OK but the operative said that they had hundreds of customers waiting for help.

Apparently, E-Bay is in the process of removing the virus now but it might take a few hours.

2. barrymidd

barrymidd Who me?

I think Mac users will be ok. I was on Ebay earlier, before I saw this and seem to be ok after a quick check.

3. Greg

Greg 2t5b

I think I've had the eBay virus for a while. Do symptoms include compulsive buying during the wee hours of the morning?

4. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

:D

I'll keep bumping this when I can as it's important.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Dave, can you explain exactly what happened? I've just checked eBay here (I'm on a Mac so largely virus immune) and can't see anything suspicious. What exactly were you looking at when you had an issue? I don't understand how anything on eBay could 'masquerade as a anti-virus scanner'.

Tony.

6. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Tony / Chaps

Are viruses the same threat today that they once where ?

Mrs Mick is safe on her Mac and my desktop hasn't been infected for years due to AVG, Spyware blaster etc etc and Microsofts built in protection.

I have an automatic virus scan every day as well as a spyware scan.

I would imagine most PCs are fairly well protected these days or am I being too complacent.

Regards

Mick

7. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

It happened quickly, so I'm not sure. On E-Bay, I vaguely remember a 'Java' licence agreement popping up which I kept on deleting but then the computer slowed right down. I shut down Internet Explorer and fired it up again to be met with dire warnings about 350 Trojans and 200 Worms etc and then a blue screen with poor spelling about removing the History. After that, I couldn't remove the blue screen and couldn't run a virus scan or do anything really, so I left it for this morning when I phoned BT.

The helpful man said that they had several hundred people with the same problem and it was, fortunately, easy to fix. It took him ten minutes or so but what he did was beyond my computer knowledge.

E-Bay was to blame and the virus (or whatever) had been planted over the weekend when the E-Bay techies were not on duty. The site should be cleared in a few hours.

8. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Mick today its mainly trojans and Malware. Visiting 'iffy' sites and clicking on boxes like 'you are infected remove this virus now' executes malicious software.

My youngest is protected by MSE but it keeps finding and reporting virus infections. The other 8 computers are fine...........

Ditto unsolicited mail with links and attachments.

Cheers,

DV

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

As long as you run a good AV program and keep your operating system right up to date with the latest patches then you should be pretty safe on a PC. Remember any AV program can only protect against viruses, not user incompetence, i.e. if you choose to install a trojan because you think it is something else your machine will become infected. The majority of virus issues can be filed under PEBKAC IME.

Tony.

10. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

We have four laptops here, all 'protected' by McAfee via BT. This is updated continuosly and scans run every day but still I had this trouble.

I had a similar problem a few months ago on another laptop but that couldn't be fixed by BT and I had to use the Dell people who took over the machine and stripped it right down to nothing and then re-installed Windows. Touch wood, this is OK.

11. Mick P

DV

I have a friend in Spain who is single and by his own admission spends a fair amount of time on "iffy" sites.

I installed AVG plus all the recommeneded spyware and trojan stuff into his pc and he has been fine.

I warned him about not clicking on to the "you are infected" sites and to my knowledge he is still tapping away with no problems.

I have a teenage Grandson who stays here when I am away and he has never caused my pc to be infected, or if he has, he has cleared it up.

Regards

Mick

12. Mick P

Tony

Sorry I don't understand that - can you please expand.

Regards

Mick

13. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Mick, this seems to contradict your normal position - i.e. only seek advice from experts on experts only fora.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

PEBKAC: problem exists between chair and keyboard.

Tony.

15. Mick P

Greg

My advice was straight from the tech guys forum.

I lurk there quite a bit.

Regards

Mick

16. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

I have moved to Microsoft Security Essentials and today it looks good. My youngest had all the AV and malware etc software but still badly screwed up her system. In the end I flattened the disk to factory fresh put on MSE and to date no more problems. We do see that MSE finds and removes virus/malware so far successfully.

MSE is also less of a drain on system resources. Its worth a look.

Cheers,

DV

17. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

I don't visit 'iffy' sites and not knowingly clicked on the spoof anti-virus messages. What I did do, on this occasion, was to delete the 'Java agreement' message because it wouldn't go away. Maybe the delete button wasn't 'delete' and it was this that unloaded all the junk on my computer.

What ever it was, I was amongst hundreds of BT customers afflicted and there must be thousands using other providers throughout the country.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Are you saying that you found one of these fake-AV scan trojans hosted on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk? I find that exceptionally unlikely as eBay uses very carefully vetted and targeted advertising, I'd be amazed if such a thing managed to make it's way into corporate advertising on this scale. My guess is it will have appeared from elsewhere. This kind of thing is rife in certain 'down-market' areas of the internet (often from eastern Europe) and are frequently a ruse to install a keylogger, back-door, or bot software on your PC. Very nasty things.

Tony.

19. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

I saw a 'Java agreement' message appearing on the screen whilst I was doing my daily E-Bay trawl. Being a computer numpty, I have no idea what Java is about and it's not something I have requested. The message was continually on the screen and so I deleted it. It re-appeared several time and I kept on deleting it. Eventually, the computer slowed right down and I got all the spoof anti-virus nonsense.

All I can tell you is that the BT technician told me that it was a virus on the E-Bay site and that BT had been inundated with other users with identical problems to mine. He said that they had hundreds of people to call back as they now had a relatively easy solution. This he carried out for me and all is well. I hope. He also said that I should wait a few hours before going on E-Bay as they were still working to clear the problem.

20. mmterror

mmterror pfm Member

Chaps,

These drive-by infections are carried out by organised crime gangs around the world.

No AV product is fool proof against then as they actually have test labs now that they check their malicious code against daily. Its mega business and they are tooled up accordingly.

The AV firms cannot keep up.

These are expert hackers and can break into any site and infect them at will ready for you to cruise across and get the nasty payload pumped into your PC.

All you can do is use a browser that allows you to stop scripting such as Firefox with Adblock and NoScript installed. That only goes so far as a site you previously accepted as OK could be infected later, such as Ebay.

If you want to stop Java scripting infections then remove all traces of Java from your PC. Its just another attack vector you can try to nullify.

Makes some websites useless but its up to you.

The only thing I see affecting customers are these drive-by infections. As you cant really stop them it makes a case for not bothering with AV and just clean the crap off if and when you get hit.

However, AV is still useful for mopping up some of the old style virus and trojans that lurk on the web.

It's like getting a broken of chipped windscreen, annoying but its gonna happen some day and maybe twice in quick succession. Sods law and all that.