Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia or what?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Chops54, May 13, 2020.

1. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

I've battled with what I've always thought was mild dyslexia for as many years as I can remember. I'm not actually sure if that's what it is. I can spell and punctuate correctly but often when writing I end up writing something else. Reading can be hard work too. I often don't see everything on the page or screen or I read something that isn't there. I've replied to a text to someone today having completely misunderstood what was sent to me initially. I've sorted it now but I'm annoyed and I feel like a right tit. I've been building a preamp over the last few months and today I noticed I'd put a cap in the wrong way round. I wanted to make a few changes anyway and tidy a few things up but bugger me I've ended up putting the same cap back in the wrong way round again. I'll end up putting it back on the shelf and leaving it there for another month or two whilst I tackle another project that's drained me. I just wished I knew what the hell was wrong with me but I fear at just short of 66 I'll just have to put up with it until I croak.

2. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Well if you can spell and do sequences then it’s probably not dislexia how ever you spell it.

Pete

3. Fatmarley

Fatmarley Agnostic

All I can say is I feel your pain. I do some really stupid things on occasion and it makes me feel like punching myself.

Chops54 likes this.
  4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Dysgraphia

5. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Just in general, I wonder if we are becoming "overexposed" to too many different things, e-mail, whattsapp, twitter, netflix, amazon prime, 68 DAB stations, cars full of (mostly useless) microprocessors with a few hundred functions, cellphones for talking, searching, photographing, filming, messaging; routers connected to 4 computers, 2 cellphones, 3 TVs, 2 stereos with 4 sources of music, kindles. Maybe a mental overload? A bit like people getting run over by a lorry because they are concentrated on their cellphone.

6. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

What's Dysgraphia Bob? Yes I know I can look it up but I'm being lazy.

7. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

I don't do social media apart from PFM and a couple of other forums, I don't watch much telly but I do have two hifi systems. Analogue mainly because I can't manage computer stuff. I've tried but it's exasperating. It took me six hours on Monday to sort out a email address on my iPad!

TimF likes this.
  8. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Don’t feel bad, I am only 58 and work in a technical field, and am constantly exasperated anymore with what seems like simple things, figuring out something on my iPhone or iPad, or anything on a computer. Yikes. I’ll take working with my hands or analog shit any day! Lord help me once I put a few more years on, if I make it that far....

9. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

I had a read up on disgraphia Bob. Quite interesting.

Haha yes Tim, I really struggle with computers at times. I have a real fear of using them and I hate stuff like online banking in case I make a mistake or something. I don't read my gas or electric meter because I'm terrified of getting it wrong. I can't be the only one surely? Yet I can do my job as an industrial spark no problem. I took an exam recently and hit 94%. I was the only spark at my place of work who understood how to test an installation correctly but my paperwork was always a mess. I use paper and pencil so I can erase mistakes then I get someone else to put the results on the system.

Anyway now I've my divulged my secret to the world I need to get some sleep so thank you all.

10. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

My mild self-diagnosed dysgraphia seems to strike equally whether I'm handwriting or typing on a keyboard. It's "p" and "q" that give issues, and "d" and "b".

11. cj66

cj66 pfm Member

I used to be able to type at reasonable speed and accuracy on a manual keyboard but now find my tendency, seemingly inherited from awful accuracy on a 'phone's virtual keyboard, to tap adjacent keys to the ones intended has become irritatingly frequent.

I watch people of various ages tapping in on a 'phone with incredible speed and seemingly few errors, infuriated at my own increasing inability.

12. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

Sounds like a case of sausage finger to me :D

13. Fatmarley

Fatmarley Agnostic

At a young age I was diagnosed with something called "Cross lateral" - The only thing I can remember about it was getting the letters "d" and "b" confused, and struggling to read the word "bed".

The funny thing is, It took me while to work out that you'd written "q" as something you struggle with. I couldn't work out what the letter was.

14. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I have something similar with concepts and flow of progression in a letter. When I review a document typed up quickly I find that a conclusion appears before the argument is completed and I have to re-order the paragraphs to make a natural logical flow of thought.
    A joke if I may, a dyslexic was invited to a toga party...he went dressed as a goat !

15. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Have you calibrated the screen? on some phones you can calibrate to make the position of your finger correspond with the target.

They have done MRI scans showing that people who develop skills entering data on phones have a modified brain structure; much like taxi drivers as they acquire the knowledge.

We're all better at some things than others; like my father i have a dismal memory, getting worse as i get older and more brain cells die. Better for numbers and even worse than bad for faces.

Quite embarrassing at times, must confess i didn't even recognise my mother once!

16. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

Do you find that sometimes you miss things out when reading a script or a letter? I can often read something several times and still miss out a particular section. It's bloody frustrating. It's even worse when you put things in that aren't there. I get really mad with myself at times.

17. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Dyslexics of the world untie!

madmike, cutting42 and Chops54 like this.
  18. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

One of my favourite bits of graffiti

mykel likes this.