advertisement

Dynavector P75 plug termination

stackowax

pfm Member
So the plug came off the cable running from the PS to the P75. Some questions (pics attached):

1. One wire is solid black, the other has a white stripe. Which is positive and which is negative?

2. The white wire has a metal loop soldered to the end. Any idea why?

3. I think the positive wired gets soldered to the center pin. Yes?

4. The plug has always been a little funky. Anybody have any idea what the replacement plug specifications are and where I could purchase a single plug (or two).

48774991967_ab8a0fba7a.jpg

48774434498_e3382173c1.jpg

48774487278_bd44b82f77.jpg

48775021982_134465d4bb.jpg

Any 12VDC wall wart will do, you just need the correct size barrel connector, connected the correct way around - centre pin negative, although many have adapter type connectors as a sort of kit. Barrel connectors come in several sizes.

Rather than make even an educated guess, test the polarity of the lead, and re-solder centre pin negative.

Spare plugs - measure the present one using callipers externally and twist drills for the centre pin/hole. Maplins would have been the simplest option, now CPC, Amazon, PayBay, take your choice.

Bothe the wall wart and P75 show centre NEGATIVE.

Update: resoldered the plug to the wire. Seems like a very poorly designed plug or/and I’m not great with the soldering iron. But it works.

If you use too much heat too or take too long in the soldering, the plastic insulator in many of the plugs will partially melt or distort making the whole thing loose. Is that the problem?

It is. Although the plastic insulator (the red stuff in the first picture above) was not in great shape when the wire came loose initially (and that was done by whoever made the PS). I'd prefer teflon insulation (or something else that won't melt) but that's probably too much to ask for $2 plug. Actually, I'd prefer a hardwired power cord and eliminate the plug altogether.

Essentially all PSUs leave manufacturers with moulded connector, which cannot be removed, just cut off.
You have a PSU/plug that has been "modified" after the PSU was originally sold.

The cost of PTFE is horrible - I haven't checked but suspect that even from a retail outlet, a barrel connector sells for around 50p, probably less.

Just in case anyone ever needs a plug for their Dynavector PS this one from Switchcraft works (and is far better designed and more robust than the one that come with my PS).

48800584047_0585a21e89.jpg

advertisement

Back